Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simplesimon101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Hello,

I own a 400D but I've been toying with the idea of buying a 500D. Firstly because the image quality will be better on the 500D but secondly because of the video capability.

I don't currently have a video camera and I would like to be able to record video so I could either buy a video camera or just upgrade my SLR. Any thoughts?

Does anybody own the 500D, what is the video quality like? As video SLRs are quite new do you think it'd be worth waiting until they bring out the next model?

Thanks,

Any help appreciated.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Hello,

I own a 400D but I've been toying with the idea of buying a 500D. Firstly because the image quality will be better on the 500D but secondly because of the video capability.

I don't currently have a video camera and I would like to be able to record video so I could either buy a video camera or just upgrade my SLR. Any thoughts?

Does anybody own the 500D, what is the video quality like? As video SLRs are quite new do you think it'd be worth waiting until they bring out the next model?

Thanks,

Any help appreciated.

What do you take video of? Holding a DSLR to take video is an awkward and shaky proposition without a tripod or some kind of steady mount, the shape of the body just isn't happy being handheld for video.

Do you have IS lenses? Even cheap video cameras are coming with some kind of stabilization these days, with the DSLR, it is up to the lenses to provide it.

Just some more things to consider.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I too have been pining for a combination dSLR/video device. Obviously, the 5DMkII is way out of my range. To me, the T1i (500D) isn't quite there yet.

The 1080p frame rate is ridiculous. 20 fps???? At 720p, it's more acceptable, but I'd like to take advantage of 1080p. Also, the lack of a stereo microphone is a partial deal killer. I've also read that the AF system isn't quite the same as you would find on a real camcorder.

With all of that, I'm holding onto my 400D and waiting for the next Rebel. Hopefully, it'll get much of the video features that the 7D has.

ft

Simplesimon101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
What do you take video of? Holding a DSLR to take video is an awkward and shaky proposition without a tripod or some kind of steady mount, the shape of the body just isn't happy being handheld for video.

Do you have IS lenses? Even cheap video cameras are coming with some kind of stabilization these days, with the DSLR, it is up to the lenses to provide it.

Thanks I hadn't really thought of those things. However I don't think these would be big problems for me.

I think the main attraction for me of having a video-DLSR is not needing to carry and handle 2 different devices all the time. I just need to work out if it gives you better or worse quality for the money.

The 1080p frame rate is ridiculous. 20 fps???? At 720p, it's more acceptable, but I'd like to take advantage of 1080p. Also, the lack of a stereo microphone is a partial deal killer. I've also read that the AF system isn't quite the same as you would find on a real camcorder.

Yeah these are the reasons I was thinking of holding out too (especially the sound issue)... are there any ideas when the next Rebel camera will be out?

Also I guess it'd be a few years before they release something that has a frame rate higher than 30@1080p for slow motion... (not that I really need that... just for fun!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.