Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MwRdK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
Ok this is probably asked before but here's my scenario so far:

1. Would've moved up to iPhone XR if not for its roll back in performance from iPhone 7+;
  2. iPhone XS price is...well...shocking (not that I'm surprised but you know what I mean);
  3. Still happy overall with iPhone 7+, actually, with touch ID (I just don't trust face ID right now);
  4. Feels iPhone 8+ is too small a improvement;
  5. Not particular with phototaking with smartphone (if I particular about phototaking, I crank out my D750);
  6. My 2+ years old iPad Mini 4 64GB is slowing down a lot, battery drain getting faster, and accessories are getting harder to come by for it;
  7. I do gaming on iOS devices and watch movies on them as well.
At this time, I'm pondering if I should trade in my iPad Mini 4 for a iPad Pro (probably 10.5", 12.9" too big), or buy the iPhone X from authorised resellers while they're doing a clearance discount right now?

Apple store's trade-in price for iPad Mini 4 is attractive at this time, though...

I still want all my mobile devices from one camp so to simplify my logistics, so I'll just go for one at this time, follow-up with either one perhaps after my year-end bonus roll in...

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It sounds like you want to upgrade from your iPad Mini 4, so if you're ready to move to a bigger iPad than that's probably the way to go. That said, I wouldn't buy an iPad Pro right now as the current models are over a year old and rumors suggest they will be updated next month. Even if you prefer the current 10.5" with Touch ID, you'll be able to get a better deal when the new models drop.

Reactions: theanimala

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
The XR performance is way above the 7+. Not sure why you think it goes down.

The iPad mini 4 is probably more in need of an update than your phone.

You won’t have a choice going forward for iPhones. It’s all Face ID once you get past iPhone 8. You can wait it out and see if they get some form of Touch ID added back in future iPhones, but I wouldn’t count on that.

MwRdK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
The XR performance is way above the 7+. Not sure why you think it goes down.

The iPad mini 4 is probably more in need of an update than your phone.

You won’t have a choice going forward for iPhones. It’s all Face ID once you get past iPhone 8. You can wait it out and see if they get some form of Touch ID added back in future iPhones, but I wouldn’t count on that.
XR resolution is a step-down compare with 7+, though...but I admit 3D touch isn't too much of use.

It sounds like you want to upgrade from your iPad Mini 4, so if you're ready to move to a bigger iPad than that's probably the way to go. That said, I wouldn't buy an iPad Pro right now as the current models are over a year old and rumors suggest they will be updated next month. Even if you prefer the current 10.5" with Touch ID, you'll be able to get a better deal when the new models drop.
I've heard that rumour too...more wait? Or risk they dial down the iPad Mini 4 trade-in value?

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
XR resolution is a step-down compare with 7+, though...but I admit 3D touch isn't too much of use.

I've heard that rumour too...more wait? Or risk they dial down the iPad Mini 4 trade-in value?
They're both 326 PPI. If held the same distance from your face, the quality is the same. Further the XR now has true tone so that's even better.

Anyway I agree with bodonnell202, upgrade the Mini 4 but wait until the new ones are announced. They might dial down your Mini 4 trade-in value but I'm sure the improvements of a new iPad would be worth the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.