Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pamssmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
St. Louis, MO
I've got an iPhone 7 256GB and aside from having my original swapped out a year in because of a faulty battery — I have no complaints. To date, I've never gone with the Plus because they just seem massive. But I'm going to India in August for almost two weeks for work and I'll be doing a fair amount of photography and video while I'm there. I'm planning to take my phone and a DSLR.

So my question is two-fold:
1)
Is it worth it to upgrade for a better camera (either to an X or Plus)?
2) If so, do I go new (X) or refurbished (8+ or even 7+)?

I was holding off upgrading to the X to see what Apple rolls out in the Fall, so I'm hesitant to make the leap now with only half a year to go. Which is probably why I'm thinking the refurbished route might be a good compromise. But I've gone round in my head on this enough and now I've decided to phone a friend (the internet). Am I crazy to even bother switching? Maybe that's door #3.

What do you think?

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Your current phone should be absolutely fine for another couple years. If you do decide to upgrade, definitely skip the 8 and 8+ and go for the X. The 7 and 8 are so similar that it would barely be an upgrade.

If I were you, I’d hang on to your 7 and wait for the X update this fall.

JamiLynee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2014
The PNW
I've got an iPhone 7 256GB and aside from having my original swapped out a year in because of a faulty battery — I have no complaints. To date, I've never gone with the Plus because they just seem massive. But I'm going to India in August for almost two weeks for work and I'll be doing a fair amount of photography and video while I'm there. I'm planning to take my phone and a DSLR.

So my question is two-fold:
1)
Is it worth it to upgrade for a better camera (either to an X or Plus)?
2) If so, do I go new (X) or refurbished (8+ or even 7+)?

I was holding off upgrading to the X to see what Apple rolls out in the Fall, so I'm hesitant to make the leap now with only half a year to go. Which is probably why I'm thinking the refurbished route might be a good compromise. But I've gone round in my head on this enough and now I've decided to phone a friend (the internet). Am I crazy to even bother switching? Maybe that's door #3.

What do you think?
You gotta do you. Rumor is they're going to go to a bigger iPhone X along side the current model. If you want the ABSOLUTE newest (which I'm guessing might not be an issue since you're still holding a 7), wait. My advice is go to the Apple store and start playing. You'll find what feels right for you

Reactions: saltd and pamssmith

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
So my answer is two-fold:
1)
It is not worth upgrading for the camera, sure the 8 or X might take better photos, but it reaches a limit
2) Don't get a new phone at all and just wait for the 2nd generation iPhone X

Reactions: pamssmith

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Yeah, I'd stick with the 7. I have a 7 also and find it to be a very stable , fast device with an awesome camera. Would make more sense to wait and see what's coming down the line as far as the next itteration of iPhone .

pamssmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
St. Louis, MO
You gotta do you. Rumor is they're going to go to a bigger iPhone X along side the current model. If you want the ABSOLUTE newest (which I'm guessing might not be an issue since you're still holding a 7), wait. My advice is go to the Apple store and start playing. You'll find what feels right for you

You guessed correctly. I tend to upgrade only when I see a big leap in terms of features, consistently run out of space (not an issue since the 256GB came along), or an older phone gets glitchy.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You guessed correctly. I tend to upgrade only when I see a big leap in terms of features, consistently run out of space (not an issue since the 256GB came along), or an older phone gets glitchy.

My advice is to take advantage of the iPhone X, if you find it comfortable and if its what you like. Personally, I don’t think the next generation iPhone X will be drastically different over the current iPhone X, unless you were interested in the rumored larger 6.5 iPhone X, then it might offer additional features. The biggest improvements will be Face ID and the camera. But physically, the 2017 and 2018 iPhone X will primarily be the same.

Last edited:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Going to come at it from a different angle -

1) If buying an X, don't bother - wait. The X is an iterative product that is surely going to be better in the fall, and there will likely be an X plus. The current X is only going to be improved upon with each successive iteration from here on out. The current X has a lot of areas for improvement (FaceID, UI, etc.).
2) If buying an 8/8+, buy now, which I have never ever recommended buying a phone mid-cycle in the past. These phones will not be incrementally improved and they are the last of the breed, so if you like them, buy now knowing they aren't going to be improved upon, and knowing you're getting the creme de la creme of that entire generation/design language. The 8/8+ are such refined, solid, well oiled products and everything is sorted out (TouchID, UI, LCD screen, etc.).

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
I would wait until October - the 8 is very similar to the 7 and IF the new iPhones will be worse in some regard, the 8 will be a little bit cheaper to buy. I am (trying to) wait(ing) even with my 5s as I hate the idea buying the phone in the middle of the cycle, although my replacement battery is starting to be to weak for my needs, so I will see whether I will make it.

Reactions: pamssmith

pamssmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
St. Louis, MO
That was really helpful! I think there's a solid argument on waiting — particularly if I'm interested in moving to the X. The idea that the 8+ is the most advanced iteration and the culmination of that design — is a compelling argument in favor of that model. I'm relieved to know that I could stick with the 7 and not experience truly detrimental limitations. I think I'll take Medusa3's advice and go try them both out in person and see if that tips the scales towards waiting or upgrading now. Cheers - PS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.