Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capnav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2023
I recently updated my unsupported IMac from Catalina to Big Sur using OpenCore Legacy Patcher without any issues. I have attempted to do the same with my MacBook Air but I am having an issue. The MacBook Air will not boot up (on its own) unless the external drive I used for the installer is connected. If I attempt a reboot without the external drive I get a grey screen with circle and diagonal line. When I connect the drive and restart, I initially get the screen with “Install Big Sur OS” and “untitled” (my mac’s internal drive). After a couple of seconds, the boot process selects the internal disk and boots up into Big Sur without any problems.

Some details:
- MacBook Air 13 inch mid-2011
- 1.7 GHz Dual Core Intel Core 5
- 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR 3
- Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
- Startup Disk: untitled
- upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur

Again - if I boot up with the external drive connected, everything seems to work fine (not the most speedy computer experience but it works).

Any idea what I need to do?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

boredandlonely

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
Again - if I boot up with the external drive connected, everything seems to work fine (not the most speedy computerexperience but it works).

Any idea what I need to do?

Thanks

Was Catalina installed via unsupported patcher (dosdude), or OCLP?

Did you ever install OpenCore to your internal drive? You get an "EFI Boot" option when you option-boot, which takes you to the secondary OpenCore option-boot screen, without needing the OpenCore drive you created..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.