Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yasas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2019
I am currently on my iPhone 7+ and I was planning to wait for the 12Pro. My Phone's battery is really bad but even worse, it won#t always charge, as I have to find a sweet spot everytime and not touch it. (It is not due to the cable)

Now I am wondering if I should wait for another half year and stick through it, given the big update we will have this year, or if I should get the 11Pro. What do you think ?

justinrcook

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
This issue that you’re describing for your iPhone 7 is in many cases caused by packed in lint and debris in the charging port. Carefully scraping it out with a very small flat head (eyeglass sized) screw driver will resolve the issue. This is what I use. With that said. Why wait? The 11/11 Pro and Pro Max are great phones. 5G won’t be readily available the first year. And the midnight green is ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 194
Reactions: yasas

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
Yes, try cleaning the port. I use regular toothpick on my SE every several months with no issues. You’d be surprised how much stuff it accumulates inside.

Otherwise if your phone is working fine keeping it until it no longer does is always a wise choice. Spend money on experiences instead, those will stay with you long after the novelty of a new toy wears off.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
agree with the others about the lint being the likely culprit for charging issues.

yet, in the flip side, you have to think about what you would want in the rumored iphone12 vs iPhone 11 series given you are facing other challenges with you iPhone 7. from what the rumors suggest, the 12 will have:

- time of flights sensor on rear
- 5G
- come in different sizes (5.4, 6.1, and 6.7")
- another camera upgrade? (to compete with Galaxy S20 ultra)

to me, none of these are that important with the exception that they actually are rumored to be removing the 5.8" model. i'd be fine with the 5.4" model, but i would want the telephoto lens that may only come on the 6.1" and 6.7" models if the rumors are right.

5G, IMHO, isn't ready for prime time, even though i live in the SF Bay Area and won't be for at least another couple of years. even then, i don't do anything heavy duty network need wise, so existing LTE is good enough and may be even better if people move over to 5G ;)

i'm not in AR, so the first feature isn't relevant until someone shows me how it would be life changing to me. the only thing i would feel like i missed is if they introduced an optical zoom on the telephoto lens to follow Samsung.

but beyond that, i think the 11 series will be excellent phones to use for the next several years.

Handsome Flyer

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2020
Having a bad charging port is bad. How about move to a cheap android then wait for the 12?

I definitely agree to Derek. 5G phones are not fully ready for this year.

• Wow

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
If you are ok with spending a ton of cash on the latest, I say go for it. But for the most part, I am ok with not having the newest, I'm a little cheap these days. I bought last years phone to replace my old 7 that worked great, minus the actual phone part, and facetime was near impossible because I couldn't be heard. I'm not blown away, but its a solid upgrade for sure.

The reality is, there is always something new just around the corner. If you need those features, wait it out and pony up the bucks when the time is right, if not, then enjoy what tech has to offer right now.

Cobalt50

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
What about the new SE2/9 that is supposed to come out soon? It would be an improvement on your 7 but probably not as functional as the 11s. Nor would it be as expensive as the 11s. I'd wait until that comes out before making a decision.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What about the new SE2/9 that is supposed to come out soon? It would be an improvement on your 7 but probably not as functional as the 11s. Nor would it be as expensive as the 11s. I'd wait until that comes out before making a decision.

With the way things are in China, I wouldn’t put any emphasis on ’soon’ with the iPhone 9, which has the likeliness of being delayed until further notice, just as other manufacturers will face delays with release dates for future products.

Last edited:

yasas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2019
Thank you guys so much for your response. It turns out cleaning the phone worked so far. I’ll be waiting for now!

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I was having the same issues with my iPhone 7 so I picked up an 11 Pro off Swappa. I had already had the battery replaced once just before the AppleCare ran out and now it won't last long again. I think the charging port is going out too. It won't always connect to charge and I have to flip the connector around. It also fried one of the pins on a new genuine Apple lightning cable and killed it. The port inside the phone looks burnt, but pins look okay. Maybe it was a little wet or humid when I plugged it in. I cleaned the port with 90something percent alcohol using a toothpick with cotton I pulled off a cotton swab. It seemed to be charging better, but I don't want to wait until it completely stops working. If the 11 Pro works out well I'll probably hang onto it for a couple years. I don't care about 5G because they don't have that in my area yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.