Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Anyone else worried we will run into problems again this year trying to use the Upgrade Program to go from iPhone 7 to 8? I signed up for the upgrade program for the first time last year when I bought my 7 Plus. However I remember all the supply issues Apple had specifically for the current Upgrade Program members.

Considering the rumors on supply constraints for the next gen iPhone, how do you think things will go for the Upgrade Program members this year? I would think (hope) Apple learned their lesson from last year and will prioritize customers upgrading. Thoughts?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Anyone else worried we will run into problems again this year trying to use the Upgrade Program to go from iPhone 7 to 8? I signed up for the upgrade program for the first time last year when I bought my 7 Plus. However I remember all the supply issues Apple had specifically for the current Upgrade Program members.

Considering the rumors on supply constraints for the next gen iPhone, how do you think things will go for the Upgrade Program members this year? I would think (hope) Apple learned their lesson from last year and will prioritize customers upgrading. Thoughts?

I posted something similar to this. I sincerely believe that customers on IUP and the carrier IPhone forever Programs are in for a shock, for 2 reasons. A huge delay in production very limited supply the Only way anyone is getting an iPhone 8 or IPhone X will be via Apple Store App don't even bother with the website that's crashing immediately. And getting a PreOrder, that's complicated by being on these IUP programs because many who think they will be Eligible really are not.

Secondly and I think deliberately Apple has created a New category and a Hugely Expensive device that is NOT comparable with existing devices. I.e. These Upgrade plans let you go from 7 Plus to 7s Plus not to IPhone X or whatever the final name is. Then there is cost. What's you Phones value 128GB 7 Plus for $699 vs a IPhone 8 128GB for $1,100 that's gonna be more a month than people expected.

Simple point is very very few people will be getting an iPhone 8 in 2017. There's a slim chance If you have the Ap Store ready to go credit card info loaded Are Paying Full price. Just click and go if you waste time considering a Plan type and options you will get left behind. Even so Most Pre-orders will get Delayed shipping Dates into November or December and that's if you are Lucky.

You won't be able to walk into a store and buy one until Mid 2018 and at that point wait for the 8s Plus.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I posted something similar to this. I sincerely believe that customers on IUP and the carrier IPhone forever Programs are in for a shock, for 2 reasons. A huge delay in production very limited supply the Only way anyone is getting an iPhone 8 or IPhone X will be via Apple Store App don't even bother with the website that's crashing immediately. And getting a PreOrder, that's complicated by being on these IUP programs because many who think they will be Eligible really are not.

Secondly and I think deliberately Apple has created a New category and a Hugely Expensive device that is NOT comparable with existing devices. I.e. These Upgrade plans let you go from 7 Plus to 7s Plus not to IPhone X or whatever the final name is. Then there is cost. What's you Phones value 128GB 7 Plus for $699 vs a IPhone 8 128GB for $1,100 that's gonna be more a month than people expected.

Simple point is very very few people will be getting an iPhone 8 in 2017. There's a slim chance If you have the Ap Store ready to go credit card info loaded Are Paying Full price. Just click and go if you waste time considering a Plan type and options you will get left behind. Even so Most Pre-orders will get Delayed shipping Dates into November or December and that's if you are Lucky.

You won't be able to walk into a store and buy one until Mid 2018 and at that point wait for the 8s Plus.

Pretty much your entire post is full of nonsense without a grain of evidence to back it up. There is so much misinformation in here its not even funny. Stop making things up.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Regarding the Upgrade Programme, in the UK at least, the only question mark is how it will work if/when you're ready to upgrade. If it's in-store only, there's going to be headaches and lots of complaining on this forum.

Load of rubbish.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Another person requiring evidence on "MacRumors" how about my birth certificate too.

I think the point is, you're just coming up with these random theories that you believe which are nonsensical, and yet, you think others shouldn't be questioning where you came up drawing conclusions that have no relation to an unreleased iPhone or future product.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

It will be as crazy as ever. Just resolve yourself to it as there will be more buyers than Apple can supply. No sense in getting worked up about it now, you still got several months.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Another person requiring evidence on "MacRumors" how about my birth certificate too.
There is a difference between a rumor, which typically has a source, but is unconfirmed. Vs, throwing out whatever is on the top of your head because you feel like it. There isn't a single thing in your post that is a rumor but the price. Everything else you made up.

Reactions: michael9891

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada

First who pre-orders, first served.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The phone value for the previous device doesn't really matter does it? When you sign up for a new device installment plan, you're committing to 24 payments for the full price (plus AC+) of the new device. You just have the option of having the remaining balance forgiven after a year is up if you surrender your old device and sign up for installment on a new one.

This is really no different than if one had gotten a $649 iPhone 6S 32GB in 2015 ($32.46/mo) and then switched to the $969 iPhone 7 Plus 256GB in 2016 ($45.79/mo).

Reactions: Donfor39

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
The phone value for the previous device doesn't really matter does it? When you sign up for a new device installment plan, you're committing to 24 payments for the full price (plus AC+) of the new device. You just have the option of having the remaining balance forgiven after a year is up if you surrender your old device and sign up for installment on a new one.

This is really no different than if one had gotten a $649 iPhone 6S 32GB in 2015 ($32.46/mo) and then switched to the $969 iPhone 7 Plus 256GB in 2016 ($45.79/mo).

Exactly how I recently upgraded mid 2yr IPad Air contract to iPad 10.5/Pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.