Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbunker7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
I’m considering updating my Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro (8GB RAM, i5, 256GB SSD). Honestly, it still runs somewhere in fine-to-good. However, I’m starting grad school (statistics) next month and I thought now might be a good time to buy due to student discounts / incentives. Interested in knowing whether now is a good time to upgrade, or if waiting is wiser.

For a quick summary, I’d consider myself a moderate user across the board (more on that below). In terms of budget, I’d say $1,600 (pre-tax), *maybe* $1,700, at most. I’d like to get at least 4 years out of it. Probably could be swayed into spending a bit more if it’d really help get a few more years out of it.

I’d appreciate your thoughts on whether it’s worth me upgrading (and what specs you’d recommend). If you’d like my specific uses/wants, keep reading.

In terms of my general usage...
  • I mostly use mine for web browsing, where I’ll have several (20-50) tabs open at once. In the past, I’ve had a couple hundred tabs open at once, and it slowed to a crawl. However, I’m trying to cut back.
  • With grad school, I expect to use “heavier” apps, especially statistical / coding applications like R, SAS, MatLab, etc. I’m not worried about PC-only applications like SAS since I know about workarounds (e.g., Wine, Bootcamp).
  • I do some (minimal) video editing, maybe up to a couple times a month. Better/faster video editing would be nice, but certainly not a dealbreaker.
  • I’d consider myself a moderate (e.g., between light and heavy) user of Microsoft Excel. Some basic VBA macros and multi-page sheets workbooks.
  • I’m an avid console gamer (Xbox One, PS4, Switch, Wii U), but I never really got into PC gaming. Some of that’s because my laptop’s not really great for gaming, though not sure I’d do a lot of PC gaming with a better GPU
  • In terms of ports, I use my HDMI port at least weekly, and my 128 GB USB-A stick is always plugged in... sounds like I’ll need dongles for anything non-USB C...
  • Other than that, I’d consider myself a fairly average Mac user

I’m not locked into any spec list, but here’s my initial thoughts:
  • RAM: At least 8 GB. Really interested in 16 GB, especially if it’d help me keep it around longer
  • Storage: 256 GB at least. Between my USB stick and SSD, I’m currently using about 350 GB. Probably could save 50+ GB with some cleaning. Open to 512 GB, depending on cost-to-benefit and projected increases in file sizes in the next 5 years or so.
  • CPU: Base (i5?) is probably fine. If real-world performance is better with faster clockspeed / i7, it’d be nice but not high priority I’d think
  • GPU: Base is probably fine, unless an upgrade is really worth it
  • Ports: at least 2 ports. I think the new ones only have USB-C, but if there are any with HDMI that’d be big point for me. Hate dongles as much as the next guy.
  • Touch pad: cool if I could afford it, but probably better if I spent that money elsewhere
  • Battery life: Generally I only use my laptop in class or when waiting at bus stop / etc. Battery life has never been an issue in the past.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Sounds like your rMBP is still doing fine, you could probably upgrade the SSD on your rMBP and you'd be alright for a little while longer at the very least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.