Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nubben

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Hi All,

Has anyone had an issue upgrading to Sierra from El Capitain (or other Mac OS) through the "upgrade" feature in the Mac App Store rather doing a clean install?

Many thanks!

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
No issues here going the upgrade route. I've done it on two MacBook Pro's and both went perfectly. Just to be on the safe side, you should do a Time Machine backup first. But I really wouldn't think twice about an Apple upgrade. It isn't like a PC with Windows that just gets slower with every update/upgrade. Apple's upgrades/updates have always been very reliable and solid for me. About the only issue I've ever encountered on an Apple Mac OS update is on restart during the update you might get an error where it won't restart properly, in which case you can restart holding the Alt key so you can select the MacOS Upgrade icon startup disk. After that, it will reboot on its own just fine.

thekayman

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
A lot of people are simply upgrading and it works great. They just don't advertise it to the extent that people with issues do.

fongyuen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
I chose to do a clean install just because it's a good opportunity to clean out some old stuff and start fresh (upgraded through Appstore in the last couple iterations of OS X and everything was fine, too). So far it's running great on my 2014 rmbp 15", haven't run into any of the issues people seem to be struggling with in the forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.