Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
I have an SE and want to upgrade while having a compact device for one handed use, Im not sure if this rumored SE 2 will ever come out and the other rumors about the 5.8,6.1 and 6.5 inch devices don't appeal to me. Also is it worth getting an 8 in June when the new phone comes out in September?
Thanks for all your help!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have an SE and want to upgrade while having a compact device for one handed use, Im not sure if this rumored SE 2 will ever come out and the other rumors about the 5.8,6.1 and 6.5 inch devices don't appeal to me. Also is it worth getting an 8 in June when the new phone comes out in September?
Thanks for all your help!

The chances for an iPhone updated SE 2018 are marginally slim, which is evident Apple is not going to invest that much resources into a 4 inch iPhone at this point. I would wait until the September Keynote, which is approximately under four months. Which at this point, it’s almost guaranteed a 6.1/5.8/6.5 iPhone will be the main focus in the smart phone Keynote.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
The chances for an iPhone updated SE 2018 are marginally slim, which is evident Apple is not going to invest that much resources into a 4 inch iPhone at this point. I would wait until the September Keynote, which is approximately under four months. Which at this point, it’s almost guaranteed a 6.1/5.8/6.5 iPhone will be the main focus in the smart phone Keynote.
[doublepost=1528286496][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1528286602][/doublepost]
So are you thinking that the iPhone 8 is the last with the home button They will come out with?

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
So are you thinking that the iPhone 8 is the last with the home button They will come out with?

Perhaps the low end phones may have the home button in tact. I was waiting for the SE2 at one point, but I don’t see the SE2 surpassing the 8 in specs, and considering I can get the 8 at a price point very close to the SE2 I went with the 8 instead. The 8 is just as easy to operate one handed as the SE2 imo. The 8 Plus which I also have is a monster compared to the smaller sibling 8.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Everyone is. Apple will use Face ID on all phones from here on out, whether it’s the entry level lcd phone or the top of the line 6.5” x.

Reactions: apolloa

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Everyone is. Apple will use Face ID on all phones from here on out, whether it’s the entry level lcd phone or the top of the line 6.5” x.
So is there any chance that the rumors about the 5.8,6.1 and 6.5 all screen phones isn't true?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
So is there any chance that the rumors about the 5.8,6.1 and 6.5 all screen phones isn't true?
nobody can answer that in this forum or for certain anywhere. The signs point to it being possible yes. id wait till September for more information or as leaks come out. Theres already been some leaks on this.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
nobody can answer that in this forum or for certain anywhere. The signs point to it being possible yes. id wait till September for more information or as leaks come out. Theres already been some leaks on this.
Yeah I love my SE but want high end specs in a small size, maybe the 8 is the biggest I would go, the X is heavy and long

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Yeah I love my SE but want high end specs in a small size, maybe the 8 is the biggest I would go, the X is heavy and long
I wouldnt call it heavy but hey thats me. its a much better size then the +'s ive had last 3 years

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I wouldnt call it heavy but hey thats me. its a much better size then the +'s ive had last 3 years

Considering how smart phones almost 10 years ago were plasticky, bulky and larger, I’m always amazed when people think phones are so ‘heavy’ today. And then if you factor in even smart phones from the early 2000’s, we live in a world of convenience that we can carry a Smart phone today that’s more powerful than computer even 10 years ago.

Reactions: Brandonjr36

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Considering how smart phones almost 10 years ago were plasticky, bulky and larger, I’m always amazed when people think phones are so ‘heavy’ today. And then if you factor in even smart phones from the early 2000’s, we live in a world of convenience that we can carry a Smart phone today that’s more powerful than computer even 10 years ago.
my Nokia phone felt just as heavy as any smartphone today. I still dont think anything pocketable like a phone is a burden to carry around. tablets are though

balderoine

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2016
Space Gray
It just depends how much you like TouchID. Sketchy rumors suggest the SE won't be having a home button. I personally don't see how Apple is expected to release *4* phones this year if you include the SE as the smallest tier. The smallest has to be one of the already rumored phones. But if you were to ask me, the Product Red 8 is very worth it and you'll benefit by having the latest and greatest last phone with a home button.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
I have a 2 year old SE I’ve been dying to replace since I paid it off. I want the Product Red iPhone 8 Plus but $40 a month is a bit much.

My SE was only $10 a month.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Of course their is, but that’s going by leaks and rumours. Which could also be wrong. Their has been a case maker with a proven track record in leaking phone designs claiming it will be bezelless like the X. And more of them are still claiming it too.

However they also said it would launch at WWDC....

So who knows? We could actually be waiting till next year at some point if a new SE does actually exist, because all the other rumours claim only the 5.8, 6 and 6.5 will come out in September.

Haveing a 6S and using an 8 for a week, I can tell you you can’t definitely notice the upgrades it has. Overall it feels like an improvement, but it’s design is no different really and looks old next to the X.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Their has been a case maker with a proven track record in leaking phone designs claiming it will be bezelless like the X

Case makers reliability is About as accurate as an analyst making predictions two years from now about an iPhone, which should say a lot. Case makers don’t know anything specific, they only go off rumors, which they develop/manufacture their own specifications for a case of what they _believe_ a future iPhone will look like. It’s either random guessing or a possibility of them being right, similar to that of flipping a coin, with NO guarantee of being exact.

Also, for another example, weeks back a rumor surfaced showing a possible “Screen protector” for an iPhone SE, which is a complete joke in itself, because A screen protector can be manufactured by anyone that doesn’t even require exact specifications for a phone Thats not even released.

In my Opinion, the most accurate leaks are those of that are hardware components on a consistent basis manufactured from the assembly plant that surface showing more of a specific iPhone model over the course of Time.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Here are the reports from the case maker and Mobilefun and their previous 100% accurate leaks:

SE leak:
http://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/05/10/apple-iphone-x-se-iphone-se2-iphone-x2-new-upgrade-specs-release-date-price/amp/

iPhone X leak:
http://www.mobilefun.com/blog/category/leaks/

S9 Leak:
http://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2018/01/03/samsung-galaxys9-s9plus-new-leak-rumor-glass-screen/amp/

Note 8 leak:
http://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/06/29/samsung-galaxy-note-8-design-specs-camera-fingerprint-sensor/amp/

And on and on it goes. A very reliable leak source that even Mac Rumors have used in their stories:

http://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.macrumors.com/2017/06/19/leaked-iphone-8-screen-protector/amp/

So I would believe what an online phone accessory shop and a case maker with proven 100% accurate track records in their leaks say... it’s a source which is a damn site more reliable then ANYONE on this forum, that’s a fact!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Here are the reports from the case maker and Mobilefun and their previous 100% accurate leaks:

http://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.macrumors.com/2017/06/19/leaked-iphone-8-screen-protector/amp/

You Might want to read or check the sources before you Randomly post them, because the iPhone 8 never resembled anything like the above link you posted with the design or cutouts, and the sensors were never that visible either when referencing the Notch. That was actually the iPhone X it was referencing, As matter fact, that exact same design was debunked with a later article showing the differences with both models ironically. It was also titled incorrectly.

Last edited:

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
It appears "likely" that the new phones this fall will be larger and have Face ID. I have the iPhone 8 and the X and while there isn't a big difference in size and weight it is definitely noticeable. I like the 8 for its smaller size and Touch ID, but the phone I prefer is the X because of the bigger and brighter OLED screen. That said the screen on the 8 is very good. I think the 8 is a great phone and beautiful in Product Red. If you prefer the smaller sized phones I would get the 8 now. I think you would be very happy with it. The only reason to wait in my opinion would be to try and get a better price on sale or when the new phones come out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.