Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jhawkin1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
Chicago, IL
Good morning,

I am currently teaching virtually from home and I use my MacBook Air 2018 to share lessons via Zoom and share screen using Google Chrome to present Google Slides, Videos, ect.

I recently purchased a new purchase that should arrive by the end of January and I chose to upgrade to the new 2020 Macbook Air equipped with 8-core CPU and 8-Core GPU, 512 GB, and 16 GB of Memory (RAM).

My current MacBook Air is a 2018, 1.6 i5-Core with only 8 GB of Ram.

My question is: will the purchase exponentially help me present to students without the current issues I would be having with my current make with lagging, video quality, speed, etc?

Thanks!

benobi

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
It MAY help. You should feel confident that you have purchased a much more capable machine with the M1 Air. It will be able to handle almost anything you'd like to do. However, the problems you are specifically mentioning may have more to do with your internet speed/connection than with the computer. I would also double check your service provider, router and modem.

jhawkin1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
Chicago, IL
It MAY help. You should feel confident that you have purchased a much more capable machine with the M1 Air. It will be able to handle almost anything you'd like to do. However, the problems you are specifically mentioning may have more to do with your internet speed/connection than with the computer. I would also double check your service provider, router and modem.
I increased my internet speed to 600mbps...it costed a pretty penny! Hopefully that coupled with increased RAM and M1 will help performance

JLH81

macrumors regular
May 10, 2016
I increased my internet speed to 600mbps...it costed a pretty penny! Hopefully that coupled with increased RAM and M1 will help performance

I certainly hope you don't teach English classes.......

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

RAM + M1 will help multitasking.

Fanless Apple Silicon design in MBA will help not making it sound like a jet engine on video calls , heat, and sluggish multitasking. Battery life increase will be massive and appreciable too.

600mbps may be wasted if on wireless AC or lower. Need Wifi 6 router, which 2020 M1 supports and your MBA does not.

I have Gigabit, and AirPort Extreme and it tops off at like upper 300 / lower 400 possibly.

Reactions: jhawkin1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.