Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellow_Melon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2020
Hi, I am looking to do some upgrades to my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) iMac17,1 Quad-Core Intel Core i5 3.2 GHz.
Want to upgrade the CPU and the SATA mechanical drive / and add an additional PCIe stick since I will be going under the hood.

Can someone tell me if there will be any issues in adding a PCIe stick (Apple SSUBX 512GB) & a 2.5” SSD (Crucial MX500 1TB)

Should I just be settling for 1 over the other? I don't want to make these purchases and have them cause a problem. The iMac has not been upgraded so it currently only has the antiquated 1TB HDD and I have already purchased the Intel Core i7 - 6700K.

Thanks for all you help
Adrian

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I have read problem with OWC SSDs, but not the specific part number you are citing.

The Crucial SSD will be flawless. There's a trick thought with a HDD sensor. Make sure you document yourself prior the upgrade to avoid full blast fan afterward.

The CPU upgrade will only be marginal I think. Doesn't worth it I think.

profcutter

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2019
The apple AHCI drive you mention should work perfectly, all the 27 inch models have the connector. The crucial drive should work fine as well. If I was going to do one over the other, I’d get the largest PCI drive I could afford, but I know the apple ones are quite expensive. There are adaptors to allow using generic NVME drives. I’ve been using one for 6 months in my MacBook Pro, it’s been working without a hitch. If you get a larger NVME drive, the SATA ssd becomes rather secondary, but it’s really up to you. Getting rid of the spinning drive will be what makes the greatest difference. The NVME or the apple drive you noted will give you the most possible speed your machine can do.

Are you also running windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.