Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MINISuperCooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2016
Computer Details:
13inch Mid-2010 MBP (7.1)
Core2 Due (1066Hz)
16GB RAM (OWC Upgrade)
OS 7.5ish

Sidenote: I realize I need to upgrade to Sierra, and that's my plan. However, I'm a composer that uses notation software. Upgrading can (and often does from my experience) cause problems with my software. This is especially true with this particular software which is not well maintained by the developer. I'm changing software and transferring my scores into the new software's format. Once I am finished I will go to Sierra. However, upgrading before I complete this process risks problems. I have everything backed up through Time Machine, so it's not like I can't recover it. Recovering info takes time. Whereas, converting the files before the upgrade takes no additional time.

Problem: It came with a 320GB HDD, but I upgraded it yesterday to a 1TB Crucial SSD. I cloned the HD externally before installing. I also installed the OWC 16GB memory upgrade when I installed the SSD: http://blog.macsales.com/16353-owc-...6gb-for-2010-mac-mini-macbook-and-macbook-pro

Everything appears to be running as normal. However, when I check the activity monitor at idle there are quite a few more processes going on compared to before the upgrades. That's the first thing I notice, and it's fairly substantial. Keep in mind this is when no applications (other than the activity monitor) are open. The kernal_task is running at around 1GB with no programs open. Before the upgrade it was running around 150mb-400mb. Maybe this change in memory usage has to do with the additional processes I'm seeing as well. Is there something I missed when installing the SSD? Does anyone know why the kernal_task would increase? Is it possible the memory or SSD could cause this?

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
The integrated GPU (depending on the OS/GPU) allocates memory depending on how much memory you have installed.

I.e Intel HD 4000 uses 256MB on 4GB and 768MB on 16GB system. On El capitain this increases to 1536Mb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.