Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merlynhome

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Hi all.

I am very close to upgrading from my Fujifilm s5700 to a Nikon d40, can I get any advice on whether this is a good upgrade, will I really notice any difference in the photos. I am going with the D40 out of budget necessity of under £300.

The S5700 is good but I am hoping that stepping up to a DSLR even an entry level one will produce some noticable improvments over what is a glorified point and shoot.

I also notice that there will be a slight loss of image size 7.1mp down to 6mp, I have read a bit about the megapixal myth and assume that I will not be dissapointed.

Any advice welcome, would be great to hear anyone who thinks its a bad move. (other than my wife)

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
With the dSLR, you will only get better results if you want to learn how to use the camera properly.

For example, buying a D40 and keeping it on 'AUTO' will not improve your photography. In addition, by only using the kit lens you will lose out on the focal range you currently have with the Fuji.

The dSLR is all about giving you more creative freedom. However, you will only achieve this if you are willing to learn about lighting, exposure, aperture, shutter speed, ISO and how these all work together.

6MP is plenty enough unless you want to print beyond A3 size.

So, if photography is something you are genuinely interested in, then yes by all means go for the upgrade. However, be prepared for the learning curve, and also be prepared to buy perhaps an additional lens or so.

David

merlynhome

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Thank you.

I do appreciate that getting a good picture is not just about the camera, I am very new to photography and my S5700 has helped me learn about aperture, shutter speed and ISO setting (although i still get some weird results somtimes).

I guess I would like to know if the D40 would give me a better quility picture if I where to match the settings and situation of the two cameras.

Will the DSLR and lens naturally produce a better shot or should I stick with my bridge camera that does give me plenty of options and as you said a greater range than the D40 kit lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.