Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I am finally upgrading from my iPad 2. I like the small form factor of the mini and Best buy has the mini 4 for $299.99 right now, but I also am intrigued by the 9.7 Pro for $599.99. We only use iPads for browsing, reading, watching videos, recording videos, using iMovie to edit them, and some various gaming. No intense usage. I want something that will last 3 or so years. We will most likely use in the house and not take it with us as we all have iPhones and don't travel a lot.

Im a bit concerned both the iPad mini 4 and this new pro has the same 2gb of ram. Shouldn't a "pro" issue have more ram than the mini 4? Knowing our usage though we probably won't see any issues. However, the mini 4 at Bestbuy is only $299 vs $599 for the 9.7 Pro. I am not sure if its worth the extra $300. Or if the Air 2 is a better option and will be as future proof as the Pro 9.7 if I want the larger form factor. Part of me feels I should just buy the newest release knowing it will give me the most lifespan. I bought the iPad 2 at launch and its lasted nicely. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks very much!

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Go with the size that you prefer. For the usage you describe and coming from an iPad 2, either device is more than enough in terms of specs.

Reactions: michial

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Go the Mini 4. The Pro is not actually retina resolution.

I will get the next 9.7" Pro or the Mini Pro since I sign a lot of contracts, but I will keep the Mini 4 as its size is so good and it has enough power to go for years and years.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Go with the size that you prefer. For the usage you describe and coming from an iPad 2, either device is more than enough in terms of specs.
I'm not sure sure which size I want LOL. Ive tried them both and like them both. Argh!

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
You will notice the pixels on the Pro, unlike the Mini which has the same resolution on a smaller area.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Go the Mini 4. The Pro is not actually retina resolution.

I will get the next 9.7" Pro or the Mini Pro since I sign a lot of contracts, but I will keep the Mini 4 as its size is so good and it has enough power to go for years and years.
$299 seems like a great deal for the mini 4 but the iPad air 2 at $399 is great too. What to do, what to do? Lol. First world problems.
[doublepost=1458956362][/doublepost]
You will notice the pixels on the Pro, unlike the Mini which has the same resolution on a smaller area.
You don't think it will be obsolete in a year or two with only the A8 chip?

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
No, it's overclocked so very close to A8X.

And that camera bump is a big no for me.

The Air 2 is now outdated. You sill never see another Air. Go with the current model - get the Mini and save $120 or whatever including the savings on case and cover.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
You don't think it will be obsolete in a year or two with only the A8 chip?

Look at it this way, if you're getting it for a really good price even if you only get 2 years out of it it'd be fair to say you got your money's worth. But in any case, for moderate to light usage like you describe I think it will hold up fine. You're coming from an iPad 2, after all. If that managed to serve your needs up until now, you'll find that the Mini 4 is many times more powerful. The single core performance benchmarks of the A8 are actually only a little behind the A8X.

Personally, I have a mini 4, and no iPad I've seen to date has tempted me or made me regret my purchase. I'm quite happy with it.

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I do worry that you will notice the size and be disappointed after using the iPad 2 for all this time. I would stick with a 9.7 inch device if I were you and go for either the air 2 or the new pro 9.7 depending on your opinion on the pricing. My toddler son has a mini and I have an air and any time I try to use his for something, I immediately negatively notice the size. JMHO. Good luck deciding.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
No, it's overclocked so very close to A8X.

And that camera bump is a big no for me.

The Air 2 is now outdated. You sill never see another Air. Go with the current model - get the Mini and save $120 or whatever including the savings on case and cover.

If the air 2 is outdated then so is the mini 4. They have essentially the same hardware with only the screen size differentiating them. I'd say go with which serves your needs better. You'll be happy with either, especially coming from a 2.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
The Mini is more popular and has not been replaced in any way. I do not believe we will see another Mini until October 2017.

The Air 2 has just been replaced as the latest 9.7" iPad. It was already a year-and-half old so even if there is another Air, it is only six months away.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I am finally upgrading from my iPad 2. I like the small form factor of the mini and Best buy has the mini 4 for $299.99 right now, but I also am intrigued by the 9.7 Pro for $599.99. We only use iPads for browsing, reading, watching videos, recording videos, using iMovie to edit them, and some various gaming. No intense usage. I want something that will last 3 or so years. We will most likely use in the house and not take it with us as we all have iPhones and don't travel a lot.

Im a bit concerned both the iPad mini 4 and this new pro has the same 2gb of ram. Shouldn't a "pro" issue have more ram than the mini 4? Knowing our usage though we probably won't see any issues. However, the mini 4 at Bestbuy is only $299 vs $599 for the 9.7 Pro. I am not sure if its worth the extra $300. Or if the Air 2 is a better option and will be as future proof as the Pro 9.7 if I want the larger form factor. Part of me feels I should just buy the newest release knowing it will give me the most lifespan. I bought the iPad 2 at launch and its lasted nicely. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks very much!

BOTH iPads have Retina screens in them, the Mini's screen will look sharper as it is smaller and has a higher pixel density, but the Pro has that clever trick to adjust the screen depending on the ambient lighting, also the Pro has the latest gen processor and a much more powerful graphics chip. The Pro also has the exact same camera as the iPhone 6S.
The Mini however is smaller and lighter and still extremely capable and can still do the same things, not sure if it will shoot 4K video though? And that price is pretty good.

I guess it depends on how often you film and edit video, and how often and what games you play? I had a iPad Mini 2, I didn't like it and sold it on, think I was annoyed at it being bigger and heavier then my sisters iPad Mini 1 and couldn't get on with iOS at the time, now I have an iPhone 6S and an iPod Touch 6th gen haha. But it was a fantastic gaming tablet cause of it's size and I am thinking of asking for a new iPad Mini next Christmas because of it's new smaller and lighter size, and iOS split screen is so easy to use.

I think if you are going to play games that require you to hold the tablet and move it around or where you have virtual thumbsticks you may prefer the smaller Mini, if you play games where you prod the screen with the tablet lying on a table etc then the Pro could be better.

Also don't listen to anyone discussing when iPads will be updated, I was discussing that in another thread but at the end of the day NO ONE BUT APPLE knows when iPads will be updated, every one considered the iPod Touch to be dead and would be dropped by Apple, and then Apple went and gave it a massive update, so it just goes to show how much anyone on here knows.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I haven't used my iPad 2 in a couple years since I got the iPhone 6plus. My kids use it for Netflix and games. I decided on a 6s vs a 6sPlus for portability and so I am wanting to use an iPad. The mini seems like a nice size but Ive noticed the 9.7 size seems much easier to hold and lighter compared to the older iPad 2.
[doublepost=1458959029][/doublepost]
The Mini is more popular and has not been replaced in any way. I do not believe we will see another Mini until October 2017.

The Air 2 has just been replaced as the latest 9.7" iPad. It was already a year-and-half old so even if there is another Air, it is only six months away.
What is 6 months away?
[doublepost=1458959187][/doublepost]I am wondering which has the longest life between the mini 4 or air 2. Wondering too if this new pro 9.7 will be a lot better next time around as the second iterations usually are or if there will even be a new mini?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I'm not following your logic there. As you said, the Air 2 has just been replaced. There's not another 9.7" iPad coming in 6 months.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
If there is another Air, it is coming in six months. That's what I said.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
If there is another Air, it is coming in six months. That's what I said.

I think that the likelihood of that happening is very slim. The new Pro is the Air 3. There's not going to be two physically indistinguishable lines of 9.7" iPads in addition to the mini and larger Pro line.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
ok. So there may be a mini in the fall but that would imply one released every year. Seems like they don't release every year but maybe they will have a 7.9,9.7 and 12.9 every year. They seem to be diversifying sizing with Cook with the SE, 6 and Plus sizes.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Which is the better iPad, the mini 4 or the Air 2 performance wise? People say they are identical but they have different specs.

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2010
I just upgraded from the iPad 3 to a mini 4, performance wise I love it! If I had another computer I'd keep the mini 4 but it'll be my main computer so I'm returning it tomorrow for the iPad Air 2. I'm finding the screen too small for a main device, the mini 4 would be a great piece if your also using a computer and looking for a couch and bed browser. It's so light and compact.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Which is the better iPad, the mini 4 or the Air 2 performance wise? People say they are identical but they have different specs.

Air 2. The one difference between them is the tri-core A8X processor in the Air 2 vs. the dual-core A8 in the Mini 4. But the difference will probably not be significant for most uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.