Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjrtr71924

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020
I got the 2017 iPad Pro right when it was released and I have used it either as a second device and my primary PC for a year. I’m now in grad school and find it easier to read articles on my iPad - overall, I just really like having something more portable than a laptop. I’m torn between upgrading to the newer iPad and pencil or just buying the first generation pencil when the back to school sale happens. Is it worth it to get the newest iPad Pro or just buy the 1st gen pencil? For those who have(not) upgraded, why did/didn’t you?

Reactions: Zaino

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I believe there’s also talk of a new Air 4 coming this year - just saying.

Other than that I would order the Pencil and try it. Return if not to your liking and get the Pro instead. That will cover a lot of needs for a long time.

Reactions: kjrtr71924

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I got the 2017 iPad Pro right when it was released and I have used it either as a second device and my primary PC for a year. I’m now in grad school and find it easier to read articles on my iPad - overall, I just really like having something more portable than a laptop. I’m torn between upgrading to the newer iPad and pencil or just buying the first generation pencil when the back to school sale happens. Is it worth it to get the newest iPad Pro or just buy the 1st gen pencil? For those who have(not) upgraded, why did/didn’t you?
One of the main reason I did not upgrade was lapability (or rather lack thereof...) of the 11in with its smart keyboard, compared to the 10.5 and its smart keyboard. And for me lapability is important to use as a laptop.
The issue has been solved by the new magic keyboard, but that one is much heavier, making it less portable...(over 1 kg vs 700gr)
The new pencil is better for sure (not for writing, that's the same, but for ergonomics and charging) but I don't see someone upgrading just for that... If you do I hope you do it for the ipad too (for instance usb C, larger display..)

Reactions: kjrtr71924

kjrtr71924

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020
One of the main reason I did not upgrade was lapability (or rather lack thereof...) of the 11in with its smart keyboard, compared to the 10.5 and its smart keyboard. And for me lapability is important to use as a laptop.
The issue has been solved by the new magic keyboard, but that one is much heavier, making it less portable...(over 1 kg vs 700gr)
The new pencil is better for sure (not for writing, that's the same, but for ergonomics and charging) but I don't see someone upgrading just for that... If you do I hope you do it for the ipad too (for instance usb C, larger display..)
I wasn’t planning on getting a keyboard. I had one from Fintie and definitely prefer to just type on my laptop when it’s necessary. I definitely like the new pencil more from what I’ve read/YouTube videos but I can’t fathom spending that kind of money just for a pencil haha.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I wasn’t planning on getting a keyboard. I had one from Fintie and definitely prefer to just type on my laptop when it’s necessary. I definitely like the new pencil more from what I’ve read/YouTube videos but I can’t fathom spending that kind of money just for a pencil haha.
I feel you, and while I really like the new pencil, if that's the only reason, it's definitely not enough, the old one is pretty good, especially if you use a screen protector to make it feel more like paper...

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012

If you need pencil, definitely get the 2020 model. Otherwise, you won't find it much of an upgrade--YET. The new iPads are built with tremendous overhead for performance that won't be needed until 2-3 years down the line. By then your 2017 will finally start to show its age.

If I were you, I'd save the money and "put up" with the Gen1 pencil and see what Apple has in store in 3 years. Maybe then you'd feel your upgrade is significant. For a light user like me, the 10.5" still checks the 120Hz Pro Motion + quad-speaker non-negotiable the pro line has spoiled me with.

Last edited:
Reactions: kristalsoldier
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.