Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue_Leader

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2020
Australia
Hey everybody,

I was just wondering if anybody could give me advice on suitable SSDs to purchase to upgrade the storage in my MBA 11" 2015.

Ideally I'm looking for a 800GB - 120GB drive, anything in that range is fine, ideally I'm looking for the most affordable option. If location affects options by the way, I'm based in Australia, but I'm happy to order online. I'm also happy to for any recommendations that may involve 'tinkering' like SSDs with adapters/connectors as I am fairly confident technically. Would any one be able to point me in the direction of the correct SSDs to be looking it, or the correct SSDs + adapter/connectors? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers Mates!

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
OWC sells Aura SSD modules in 240, 480, 1 & 2tb sizes from $100-480 US. No idea about shipping to Australia or other costs involved. Might be somewhere local to buy the equivalent. Ifixit shows the swap as fairly easy.

Blue_Leader

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2020
Australia
OWC sells Aura SSD modules in 240, 480, 1 & 2tb sizes from $100-480 US. No idea about shipping to Australia or other costs involved. Might be somewhere local to buy the equivalent. Ifixit shows the swap as fairly easy.

Thanks for the response, I have looked at those because they are the most reccomended options/the easiest, bit expensive in my country -- was hoping to find some 'fix' with other SSDs or even other brands that may be compatible even if I have to do such as use a Trim Enabler. Cheers tho.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
I upgraded the SSD in my 2011 MBA in 2012 with a second hand 256GB SSD from eBay. It was an authentic Apple one, made by Samsung. Came in with a Chinese install of MacOS, but I restored my Time Machine install in a pinch. I paid about €200 but that was 8 year ago. Has worked like a charm ever since, and it is still my main "home" machine.

Reactions: Zapdoc

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Here's another thread where I posted what I have done to my MBA 13inch and 11inch.

I went with the Samsung NVMe M.2 storage drives because of their improved performance over Apple's storage drive. I'm seeing 1400/1500MB/s transfer rates and the power draw from this storage drive does not bother me. I am always around an AC power source if I need to plug in.

In the link I detailed what I did and posted pictures and provided links.

Reactions: Audit13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.