Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue_Leader

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2020
Australia
Hi There,

I was just wondering if anybody would be able to reccomend any cheap or 'reasonably priced' but well functioning SSDs that would be compatible with my MacBook Air 13-inch 2017 (running Catalina). I currently have its original 258GB SSD in it. I'm not quite sure where to look to find compatible SSDs in a good price range, I looked at OWC because I saw they were made for Macs and require no adapters or 'tricky stuff' but they were just WAY too pricey, especially since I'm looking for a 900GB-1TB SSD. Is anybody able to reccomend any reasoably priced compatbile 900GB-1TB SSDs? I don't mind if they require some sort of adapter I may need to install, (such as an adapter like this I saw? Sintech NGFF M.2 NVMe SSD Adapter Card not quite sure if that's the correct adapter for my laptop or what SSDs would suit it though). But yeah it would be greatly appreciated if anybody could point me in the right direction here for how to best/most economically upgrade my 2017 13inch Macbook Air SSD! Even if it requires a bit of tinkering I'm open to options.

Thanks everyone!

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

mba2015

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2020
I tested various drives including adata, wd and both samsung evo and evo plus. Heating evo is not bad, the working time during normal load was on evo average 10 minutes longer than the rest of the disks; adata is Ok, better advises when sleeping but when working on a laptop I have the impression that it was a bit worse than in evo. In addition, I personally trust adata disks less than Samsung (but that's my subjective opinion)

ScottieDog

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2022
I want to upgrade the internal SSD in my Macbook Air 2017, I understand I need to use an adaptor to make a standard NVMe drive fit. I want to then reuse the removed OEM Apple 128GB SSD and put it as the boot drive into a 2014 MacMini, I only need a small boot drive on this MacMini, I know I need to get a PCIe adaptor for that purpose to add the SSD blade as a second drive, but is there a PCIe adaptor that would fit the OEM Apple SSD as I have only seen PCIe adaptors which fit standard M2 type?

Wasn't sure whether to post a new thread or use existing, hope it is ok to post here as this thread was about the same computer I am referring to.

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.