Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avinash Kumar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Hi Folks!

Hope you guys are staying fit and healthy.

I have a MacBook Pro Late 2013 15” Retina model (8GB RAM, i7, 2.0GhZ processor with 256 GB flash drive).

Can I replace this flash drive to 1 TB NVMe 2 SSD (with the below converter which is compatible?)

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 10.13.03 PM.png

Will it have any performance impact or will it support 1TB without flaw)?

By the way, I am planning to buy Crusial NVRam SSD.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
I don't know whether that SSD would work. It looks quite different to the stock SSD.

I would recommend updating to Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra (or later) with the stock SSD installed before installing a 3rd party SSD to get a bootrom update. I think at least some models have a newer bootrom with the latest Catalina update/Big Sur so you may wish to update to that with the stock SSD installed.

Avinash Kumar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
I saw some videos in YouTube which shows the process of upgrading the SSD in Late 2013 - Mid 2015 MacBooks which has this Flash Drive type of SSD.

Since the Flash Drive SSD which is compatible for Mac is very costly they are trying to use NVMe M2 SSD which is comparatively cheaper and surprisingly faster. But since NVMe does not fit the MacBook Pro SSD slot they are using an adapter as shown below, so that they connect the NVMe M2 SSD into this adapter which will then fit into MacBook Pro SSD. And they were able to install the Mac OS successfully.

Yes as you said, I am having Big Sur running. But my only doubt is can this MacBook Pro support 1 TB SSD?

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 10.13.03 PM.png

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
It can support more than 1TB. 2TB works as well. Not sure if there is a limit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.