Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AksMar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2017
Hi all,
I am a total newbie where maintenance of a laptop is concerned but my dear MacBook Pro is very close to crashing and I need to squeeze another year or two out of it.
There hasn't been any updates in the last 2 years on this topic, at least not that I could find.

I read on the CNET that I can upgrade my memory to SSD SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM. Just ordered it from Newegg.ca for a fab price of $239.99. Videos on how to change the drive make it seem very simple however I am concerned about the software. Nowhere does it mention what happens to my software upon new SSD install. I have no idea where the original CD is since I bought this machine in 2010 so would I have to reinstall it?
If you have any other tips/tricks before I start this process, please share... here is the link i planned on using to complete the drive upgrade
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Hard+Drive+Replacement/4305

Steps:
Launch Disk Utility
Launch SuperDuper
Install the SSD

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
There are several ways you can set up the new drive
  1. Fresh install - you create a USB installer, boot into the USB drive, and the drive installs the operating system on the SSD, then you manually reinstall each App you use and manually move over your files/other data
  2. Fresh install with Migration Assistant - you do the above to install the OS, then use a Time Machine backup of your existing HDD to install (some) Apps, most files/documents, and most settings on your current system
  3. Clone the current HDD to the SSD using SuperDuper, CarbonCopyCloner, or something else - I personally prefer one of the above methods unless the existing OS is relatively new, as I find starting fresh avoids certain issues and often means optimal performance

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
That Samsung EVO 850 is $177.92 on Amazon.

Last edited:

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I just got the same SSD delivered from BestBuy. Internet recovery is going excruciatingly slow at the moment. I have two hrs before I have to leave for work and the downloading progress bar is moving so slow, I may not have time to finish the install.

I got my drive for $134 after $50 in reward certificates from buying two Apple watches. I upgraded the ram 1.5 years ago from Amazon, 16GB for about $71.

I can't wait to see what my 2012 can do after this install finishes.

Reactions: Sanpete

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I installed an older ocz vertex 3 ssd in a late 2011 Macbook 13" and it boots Sierra in about 9 seconds from the time I press the power button to the log in screen.

It's incredible how an ssd can breathe new life into an older laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.