Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Masoalan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2022
Hello, i was thinking to upgrade my macos to catalina with opencore as i have purchased a new 5500xt for gaming in windows. Iam curently running a 5,1 macpro with the stock hd5870 for bootscren and the 5500xt. Till now i have been on high sierra 1.13 but the 5500xt isnt suported until 1.15 catalina. i was wondering if is it really worth to upgrade to catalina or should go directly to sequoia and if the 5500 is still supported, also i have seen that the 5870 isnt supported in 1.15 so does opencore have a workaround to that or will only the 5500 work?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
With a MacPro5,1, NAVI GPUs (RX 5500XT is a NAVI GPU) are supported up to Monterey. So, won't work with Ventura/Sonoma/Sequoia at all.

Reactions: bmoraski

Masoalan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2022
ok thanks, also it has nothing to do.
in windows partition i have a dual monitor setup but it gave me problems with the drivers for having the two gpus dismatched, in an atempt of trying to override the windows sugested microsoft basic display adapter drivers i accidentaly changed something and now the gpu will only show picture at boot, when initalizing drivers as windows starts it gets freezed with the windows logo indefinetly, even though windows fully boots and works fine.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
ok thanks, also it has nothing to do.
in windows partition i have a dual monitor setup but it gave me problems with the drivers for having the two gpus dismatched, in an atempt of trying to override the windows sugested microsoft basic display adapter drivers i accidentaly changed something and now the gpu will only show picture at boot, when initalizing drivers as windows starts it gets freezed with the windows logo indefinetly, even though windows fully boots and works fine.
For bootscreen you can go the EnableGop path:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.