Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gavilomon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2021
Hi everyone,

Newbie here, I've been having a look at several threads about changing the SSD for a better one but so far I haven't found one that answers my questions and I want to be 100% convinced before taking the big step. The reason for my change is due to the capacity (typical 128gb).
I have seen several videos like video1 or video2 regarding this topic and, in principle, the option of changing my ssd for a 970 EVO Plus or 980 Pro seems good but:

- I have seen some people with battery problems (shorter battery life and even battery swelling). Nevertheless my battery has 1355 cycles and may need a change ;).

- As an engineer, I would like to have as much speed as possible as I use different, somewhat demanding programs.

So, taking into account the above, what would be the best SSD on the market?

Thanks in advance,

gavilomon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2021
The 13" has a PCIe 2.0 x4 bus for the NVMe drive so the bus will limit the read and write speed of high performance drives.

I assume your MacBook is running a High Sierra or newer bootrom as this is essential.

Very good information is located here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/
Thanks for the reply! I am currently running macOS Big Sur 11.4. ( I have yet to install the newer version Big Sur 11.5.2 )

I've also decided to take one more look at the forum you mention and I'm trying to decide between the options listed here (MacBookPro12,1). I'm leaning more towards the WD SN550 1TB or SK Hynix P31 Gold 1TB as after reading the last 12 pages they are the options with the most feedback.

My only doubt now is which one to choose and if any of these options have been tested with w10 in a partition as I have seen that other SSDs have problems with this OS (Kingston if I remember correctly).

Edit: additional info

Reactions: Audit13

helpmeplease22

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2022
Thanks for the reply! I am currently running macOS Big Sur 11.4. ( I have yet to install the newer version Big Sur 11.5.2 )

I've also decided to take one more look at the forum you mention and I'm trying to decide between the options listed here (MacBookPro12,1). I'm leaning more towards the WD SN550 1TB or SK Hynix P31 Gold 1TB as after reading the last 12 pages they are the options with the most feedback.

My only doubt now is which one to choose and if any of these options have been tested with w10 in a partition as I have seen that other SSDs have problems with this OS (Kingston if I remember correctly).

Edit: additional info
Hi my friend, what did you decide on? I hav the same laptop trying to upgrade it. After looking into the SK hynix P31 Gold there were mentions it would not run on apple even with the Adaptor am I wrong? Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.