Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuzuBell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
I recently began uploading photos to Instagram and notice that the quality is reduced upon uploading. I use my MacBook Pro and I upload my images on Safari after going to Develop --> User Agent --> Safari iOS 12.1.3. iPhone. I need to set my user agent to the iPhone because otherwise I cannot upload directly from my Mac.

In any case, the image quality reduction after uploading to Instagram seems to be common across platforms and phones/computers and browsers. Some resources (https://www.picmonkey.com/blog/size-matters-instagram-photo-sizes-made-easy) suggest that to prevent Instagram from lowering the image quality, users should prepare their images before uploading online to have horizontal pixel dimensions = 1080 and obtain a certain aspect ratio (for example, as shown in the table in the link I provided, portrait photos should have 4:5 ratios).

Using the "Preview" application on Mac, I resized a photo to have horizontal pixel dimension of 1080 and aspect ratio of 4:5. But still, when I uploaded to Instagram, there was a deduction in image quality. As a result, I wanted to ask if anyone has advice on how to upload to Instagram from Mac computer without reducing image quality? I do not have a phone to use. Thank you.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
I too am interested in a solution here, as each time I transfer a photo it reduces in quality. No mater the platform. a2

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
From what I can tell it's strictly designed for the mobile platform, you can't increase the size or pixel peep in any way either outside of pinching and holding. I have a SmugMug gallery where I upload my SLR photos to and from there choose which ones I want to share on IG then download it to my iPhone, then post it to IG from there. I have never had any real loss of quality at their default mobile size.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I upload through Lightroom but IG isn’t supposed to be his resolution or used as a backup method for storing photos. I think everyone who uses IG expects sone loss of quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.