Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Well, after recieving my first DSLR (a Digital Rebel XTi), I decided to go shoot some things up in the mountains. I shot in RAW, with files ranging for 7-9 MB in size. I wanted to upload them on my flickr account, yet it seems that I can't due to size. iPhoto is deciding that it won't accept my RAW images, so I'm using Canon's software (Digital Photo Professional, etc). Is their a way to resize them to around 4-5 MB or less? Can I convert them to JPEG? Any help is appreciated.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Fuzzy Orange said:
...I shot in RAW, with files ...I wanted to upload them on my flickr account, yet it seems that I can't due to size.

RAW files are NOT images. You can't look at them. The file is just numbers read off the sensor that still need to be converted to pixels Bayer interpolation is non-tricial. If you were able to upload them to the web then only people who had the latest Canon software could see the image. Convert them to JPG first.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Export them to your desktop as JPEGs. That way you'll keep them in your library as RAW, but the photos you exported to your Desktop, ready to upload to Flickr, will be JPEG.

iPhoto doesn't handle RAW files very well anyway. Once you edit your RAW file, I think it's saved as a TIFF or something.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
also people are not going to wait for a 7mb file to download for general viewing, but if you need to send the file to someone use yousendit.com

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Fuzzy Orange said:
How do I export them to my desktop as a JPEG file?

Using iPhoto, just choose file->export, then under file type, choose jpeg. You can change the image size at this point if desired as well. Choose the desktop as your destination, and you're done.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Abstract said:
iPhoto doesn't handle RAW files very well anyway. Once you edit your RAW file, I think it's saved as a TIFF or something.

For me they save as .jpeg files, but maybe this is user-selectable somewhere that I don't yet know. I agree that an Aperture-style edit where the file isn't altered would be better; maybe we'll see something announced today :).

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Well, I can't use iPhoto because it won't read the RAW files created by the XTi. And even after converting them to JPEG using Digital Photo Professional, they are still too big for Flickr. What should I do?

FritzTheWonderM

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2003
Planet 10
Fuzzy Orange said:
How do I export them to my desktop as a JPEG file?

you can do a group of pictures from Canon's Digital Photo Pro with File > Batch Process... or you can do one at a time with File > Convert and Save...
Play around with the settings to get the image you want in a file size that's reasonable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.