Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enginedriver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Help! When I plug my Canon Digital Rebel XTi into my MacBook, nothing comes up to let me transfer my photos from my CF card to my computer. I also have an Olympus E-500, but I have no problems transferring photos from my Olympus to my MacBook. When I put the CF card in my Olympus, everything works just fine, but when I try to transfer from my XTi, nothing happens when the camera is plugged into the computer.

Can someone please tell me what I should do to be able to transfer directly from my XTi?
Thanks!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Try opening iPhoto/Aperture and see what options for import are available. You may just need to seek out the camera.

If the camera doesn't show up as a device plugged in, that may be an issue. Point and shoot cameras need to be on the "review/play" setting. Not true for DSLRs however.

Sometimes, and this sounds weird, USB devices need to have some force in how you plug them in. For example, you can often plug in a USB flash drive slowly and the computer won't see it. Plug it in quickly and it is recognized.

Maybe try unplugging and [quickly/forcefully] replugging the USB cable.

markjewiss

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
Dunmow, UK
Your XTi wont' show up as a drive on your Mac. You need to use a programs like Lightroom or Image Capture to get the photos off.

Correct, I use Image Capture to pull photos off of the XTi and then manipulate with CS3.

Image Capture or iPhoto or some other application should start running when you plug in the camera and turn it on - have you recently moved/deleted your normal application that you use for photo editing? If not, try the USB cable in another port...

Mark.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Why not just buy an external USB CF reader? They're dirt cheap, mount your CF card on the Desktop but still work fine with Image Capture or iPhoto, transfer data over faster than the direct USB connection on most cameras, and you don't have to power on your camera and drain your battery while transferring your pictures over.

Macanadian

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2006
BC
If you want to hook your camera to the computer and transfer the photo's. Make sure your batteries are charged. Reason being if your camera battery dies while you are x'fering the pic's to the computer. You can lose some photo's while x'fering.

It is safer to use an external card reader.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.