Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Has anyone else experienced an extremely long wait when uploading pictures directly from the camera to the Mac? I remember it used to be faster before and now it takes forever to upload the pictures.
I typically upload from the Canon XT to the Mac by utilizing the Canon software and then importing what I want into iPhoto. The upload process of the pictures to the Mac has me set it up and walk away for hours.
Am I better off getting a card reader or is there something wrong with either the camera or Mac USB? I am wanting to blame the Canon software, but I do remember this being a much quicker process at one point.

What are your typical upload workflows? or do most folks just go right to iPhoto?

Jan 30, 2006
I normally only use Aperture.

But here are a few things you can try:
-Restart the computer. (If you haven't already)
-Try using Image Capture to download the photos. Or iPhoto.
-If you have an external drive with you, try and see if you get good transfer speeds. To rule out a possible damage to your Mac.

If these things don't work. Try a different cable. Try in a different computer. Try a card reader and connect that to your Mac. If this doesn't works, the flash card might be damaged, so try a new card.

If all fails, it might be your camera. Tho I really doubt this.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Might be something to do with the USB port.

My old iMac G3 slowed down too, when I plugged my iPod into it iTunes gave me a warning that I had plugged it into a USB1.1 port (despite plugging it into the built-in 2.0 port - the 1.1s are on the keyboard.)

If it's your USB port then a card reader won't help. So try an iPod or Roco's suggestions.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I am wanting to blame the Canon software, but I do remember this being a much quicker process at one point.
I recently purchase a Canon XSi and installed all the software (mainly to see what it's all about), and it is S---L------O-------------W! I'm probably going to uninstall it all as it auto launches for all my cameras now. :mad:

I still want to try their photo manipulation software so I've been putting off the uninstall by killing the canon app as soon as it appears on my dock after connecting my camera. That might work for you too and allow you to upload the pictures via iPhoto.

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I have an XTi and I use the Canon software to download the pictures. I find the biggest impact is the CF card I use. I have a super cheap 8GB card and that takes about 3 seconds per RAW image. That is the slowest I have seen to date. Yeah its slower than I'd want but its definitely not terrible. Definitely if you are using a USB 1.1 port its going to be much slower. I'm not convinced USB ever had a good management for information flow.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Has anyone else experienced an extremely long wait when uploading pictures directly from the camera to the Mac? I remember it used to be faster before and now it takes forever to upload the pictures.
I typically upload from the Canon XT to the Mac by utilizing the Canon software and then importing what I want into iPhoto. The upload process of the pictures to the Mac has me set it up and walk away for hours.
Am I better off getting a card reader or is there something wrong with either the camera or Mac USB? I am wanting to blame the Canon software, but I do remember this being a much quicker process at one point.

What are your typical upload workflows? or do most folks just go right to iPhoto?

Are you sure you are using a USB 2 port and not a USB 1.1 port? Also some older USB 2 hubs will revert to 1.1 if any 1.1 device is plugged in. Apple keyborads and mice are USB 1.1 as is the hub built into the Apple keyboard. Plug ther USB cable directly in to the Mac to be sure.

I doubt the problem is a slow memory card, none are that slow. same with the cable. Cable either work or they are broken.

One final question: Why not import directly to iPhoto? Seems to me that you are just adding an extra step. Maybe you want to delete the worst images but you can do thatin iPhoto too. At least try going direct to iPhoto as a test to see if the problem is not with the Canon software

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
My old iMac G3 slowed down too, when I plugged my iPod into it iTunes gave me a warning that I had plugged it into a USB1.1 port (despite plugging it into the built-in 2.0 port - the 1.1s are on the keyboard.)

I thought USB2 wasn't introduced on macs until some later generation G4s.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Are you sure you are using a USB 2 port and not a USB 1.1 port? Also some older USB 2 hubs will revert to 1.1 if any 1.1 device is plugged in. Apple keyborads and mice are USB 1.1 as is the hub built into the Apple keyboard. Plug ther USB cable directly in to the Mac to be sure.

I doubt the problem is a slow memory card, none are that slow. same with the cable. Cable either work or they are broken.

One final question: Why not import directly to iPhoto? Seems to me that you are just adding an extra step. Maybe you want to delete the worst images but you can do thatin iPhoto too. At least try going direct to iPhoto as a test to see if the problem is not with the Canon software

They are all USB 2.0 on the Mac Mini Intel C2D. I am utilizing the image capture to download. THe reason I do not go directly to iPhoto is due to the fact that I shoot in RAW + jpeg. I am only using 2GB cards in a rotating fashion. It may be the Mini USB ports are affected by something. I will have to try to diagnose that.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I have not such problem with my older Mac (PPC 1.8Ghz iMac). In fact, it's quite fast. However it's the fastest when I use PSE6's "Bridge" to download the photos from the camera (or card) to my iMac. It beats iPhoto by a wide margin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.