Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Mains power here is not that great - we don't have many long outages, but plenty of little half-second outages that play havoc with stuff in a home-office: routers, desktop hard drives, and soon, a Mac mini.

I've been intending to get a UPS for a while, but as I'd worked from a laptop I've put it off and now I can't really wait any longer.

The supplier I normally order stuff for the business through carries both APC and CyberPower brands. I'd never heard of CyberPower before now, and wondered if it was a cheaper Chinese brand - but it appears they're American?

So, I'm initially looking to run a 2018 MM (150W), and at least 1, but ideally two Dell P2415Q's (90W each) through the UPS. I could live with just one going through, but I think a nicer option is that I can just turn off one display if it's an outage rather than just a blip.

So at the moment it basically comes down to the two 'biggest' "SOHO" type UPS this supplier carries:

APC Back-UPS 1400VA, 700W

vs

CyberPower UPS UT2200E-AS 2200VA, 1320W

They're essentially the same price (equivalent to US ~$20 difference), the biggest 'feature' difference is that the APC has 4 'universal' outlets and 2 'IEC' outlets, while the CyberPower only has 4 'Thai' outlets.

Obviously the CyberPower has a longer runtime for any given load due to its larger battery capacity, but I have no idea how reliable they are, or if the macOS UPS integration works with them.

Does anyone have any insight into this area? I'm not against other brands, but keep in mind I live in Thailand, some things are just not available to buy locally, and shipping a UPS internationally is not a realistic choice.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
I’ve used both in the corporate world. We’ve had more reliability from apc. Cyber power hasn’t been good to me at any place
I’ve been. I personally have an apc at home that’s a few years old now and it’s been great. I had to replace the battery on it recently since it’s gotten weak.

Reactions: Stephen.R

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Cyberpower is a reputable UPS and a lot of people have had success with their UPS's. I think their main claim was the sine-wave output, which may or may not matter depending on what's connected to it, and some of the APC's have sine wave now as well. I personally have had APC UPS's in my house for over 20 years and am very satisfied with them.

Reactions: Stephen.R

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Not to revive the thread, but CyberPower has great software for Mac. APC, not so much. I can't speak to the hardware features/reliability, but CyberPower allows you to configure startup parameters in addition to shutdown in software, something not offered by MacOS's native UPS settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.