Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sammas2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2016
this might not be the right website to ask this, and my apologies ahead of time if it isn't.

I ordered a Mac book air yesterday, and, as right now it, it's in ups' hands. Tracking shows it departed Louisville, KY just before 5 pm and the an arrive scan 15 minutes later at the same facility. What the heck is going on?

Sammas2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2016
Hey, thanks. It ended up arriving in Memphis today. Guess it might have been a glitch.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Nope, When I opened it that's what I thought:rolleyes:

But, this is the MBA forum, and I don't use a UPS with my MBA:oops:

I do, however, with my cMP:p

Lou

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
a lot of times when ups and fedex ships something, it doesn't really scan your item individually as it leaves.. it scans the container that its supposed to be in. thats the only answer i can think of.

its most likely an incorrect answer, but it is one that sounds familiar to me

that happens a lot when you buy an apple watch from china and it says it left china and arrived in the united states only to leave china again in 10 days

i ordered a battery for my uninterruptible power supply! it was sent from KY to Guam to Hawaii and back to California!

Reactions: Sammas2

Sammas2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2016
Oh. Cool.
Hey, another question. I'm not tech savvy. What's an uninterrupted power supply.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
Oh. Cool.
Hey, another question. I'm not tech savvy. What's an uninterrupted power supply.
It's a big battery that sits between your desktop computer and the wallport. In case of a brownout, you can save your work and correctly shut down. It's mainly for workstations (like the Mac Pro) and for servers.

It's definitely not for cool people who sport a nice MacBook Air :cool:

Here's one from APC, a respectable (?) brand:
BR500I.jpg

imaccooper

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2014
North Carolina
Just so you know what happened with your package, all of the major companies (ups, FedEx, post office, etc.) use scanners to process the massive amount of packages they get. What happens is that a driver will arrive at the facility and scan all of his stuff off of his truck and into the facility and the opposite in the morning. On a smaller scale (such as most local offices), the facility would normally find where the package should go and put it there for the delivery driver to scan out in the morning. In massive hubs, the sheer volume of packages sometimes requires them to use the scanners to scan packeges onto and off of transports that take packeges across thousands of acres of property. Hence, your package most likely arrived and was just scanned again to ensure it got across the property to the correct place. Typically these scans are blocked from the tracking services, but in their efforts to keep us informed about our packeges they sometimes miss a few and it can easily cause confusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.