Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sxlx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2023
Kindly provide your expert recommendations for an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) that meets the requirements of a 16-inch MacBook Pro M2 Max.

Budget: Under $200

sxlx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2023
Isn't the laptop itself a UPS?

What else are you trying to run?
My objective is to acquire a high-quality UPS that can provide ample protection for my MacBook Pro against potentially harmful power-surges and brownouts while it is charging- ensuring its optimal performance and longevity.

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
... any good surge bar APC will protect power surges... or you can find some sub-$100 APC UPS on Amazon.

or

Are you looking for server room grade UPS for your laptop?

1677036309255.png

Reactions: leifp and chabig

sxlx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2023
... any good surge bar APC will protect power surges... or you can find some sub-$100 APC UPS on Amazon.

or

Are you looking for server room grade UPS for your laptop?

View attachment 2162563
Just get a surge protector. A UPS on a laptop is unnecessary.

I want to provide some additional details about the state of the electrical wiring in my home. Unfortunately, it's quite faulty and results in slight flickering of the light bulbs when a large amount of power is consumed. I was hoping to get your recommendation on whether it would be more appropriate to rely solely on a surge protector or to invest in a UPS with a sinewave. Your guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
You don't need a sinewave ups unless you're running on PC power supply or analog equipment.

Your MacBook Pro has a built-in battery to act as an uninterruptible power supply itself, any power flicker will not shut down your laptop since it switches to battery and once power back up it charges again. Just get a normal surge protector.

If you are constantly having power outages more than 12 hours daily. Then get a UPS, tons of them you can find under $200 from APC or EATON brand.

Reactions: sxlx

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Reactions: sxlx

sxlx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2023
You don't need a sinewave ups unless you're running on PC power supply or analog equipment.

Your MacBook Pro has a built-in battery to act as an uninterruptible power supply itself, any power flicker will not shut down your laptop since it switches to battery and once power back up it charges again. Just get a normal surge protector.

If you are constantly having power outages more than 12 hours daily. Then get a UPS, tons of them you can find under $200 from APC or EATON brand.

I purchased this..!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDC236Q?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

JustAnExpat

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2019
>Unfortunately, it's quite faulty and results in slight flickering of the light bulbs when a large amount of power is consumed.

I'm not someone who studied electricity, but if that's happening I highly recommend getting your system checked out for any wiring problems in your house.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
My objective is to acquire a high-quality UPS that can provide ample protection for my MacBook Pro against potentially harmful power-surges and brownouts while it is charging- ensuring its optimal performance and longevity.
I recently got a Bull grid that is surge and thunderbolt resistant and used it for charging stuff at my desk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.