Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple fan23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
I've got an iPad mini 5 and quite like it but want to go bigger on a small budget (under 300 ideally, so looking at Ebay or refurbished).
Ipad 9th (or 10th) gen both have sRGB instead of the mini 5's P3 and they also have less resolution. Then there's no anti-reflective coating, no laminated screen, etc. I do really like a nice screen. Am not too bothered about power as I will mainly use it to browse the web and read books/pdf's (sharp, clean letters on pdf's does matter). True-tone is a must and support for Apple Pencil 1 would be nice (since I'v got the thing and do use it quite a lot).
How big is the difference between a lower resolution, non laminated screen? Will I find it a step down? The only alternative I can see is an old iPad Pro (11" 2nd or 3rd gen maybe?) but those could be getting really old or very expensive....
Hope someone knows the difference between the two (mini 5 and iPad 9) and can make some suggestions.
Thanks!!

Last edited:

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
Hello!
I'm not the best voice out here, but for my experience, the screen of the iPad 9 is very cool. I think it matches your checkboxes! I use it almost everyday and I do feel it is a premium device, although its features can't compare to its big brothers'.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
How much of a difference PPI makes depends on your eyesight. Me, I’m not much bothered by the lower PPI.

The iPad 9’s display still looks really good and I can live with the non-laminated screen.

YMMV

Reactions: apple fan23

apple fan23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
Thanks! I might find an Apple Store that has a 9th gen so I can compare with my mini 5.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Consider Apple’s easy return policy and try it at home for a week or so to see if you can get used to another model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.