Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mediummacknowledge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
Getting straight to the point, the main difference in the process of erasing Macs for intel and for Apple silicon is that you’re supposed to press the minus button (-) undef volume for Macintosh Data when erasing an Intel chip. I did this and now my sidebar looks like this:
image.jpg

When I tried to reinstall MacOS Big Sur, there was no disk to reinstall it on.
image.jpg

I tried to erase the “Apple SSD AP0…” but it said process failed:

image.jpg

I don’t know where to go from here, any assistance at all would be infinitely appreciated.

nguyen6323

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
To erase a volume without removing it, you would press the Erase button.
The minus button removes the volume completely.
You can press the + to add a new volume again

Reactions: mediummacknowledge

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Boot back into recovery and delete container disk 3 & 5, and then try deleting Apple SSD with the numbers in it.

There is no need to tap the - or plus key during this process unless you are really speaking about clicking on view all devices, so that all the disks and containers show.

Reactions: mediummacknowledge

mediummacknowledge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
Boot back into recovery and delete container disk 3 & 5, and then try deleting Apple SSD with the numbers in it.

There is no need to tap the - or plus key during this process unless you are really speaking about clicking on view all devices, so that all the disks and containers show.
Yeah this is no different to the expected behaviour on an Intel machine.
You can erase the base disk or container or just add another volume to the container
Thank you very much! I erased the container disk and then an option showed up to reinstall Big Sur on! I can't say thank you enough I really appreciate it! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.