Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teethbrush

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
Hi there I've got a 1 TB WD Elements harddrive that is not reading on either my Mac or Windows. I've tried it on a couple different macs (though neither worked), one is OS X El Capitan and the other is MacOS Sierra.
Previously I could read it on both Mac and PC systems but could not transfer files from Mac-->Windows. Reverse worked though. In order to make it compatible with both Windows and Mac I tried to create a FAT32 partition. However the operation failed, the harddisk mysteriously self-ejected and now I can't get my harddisk read on any computer.

It registers when I open Disk Utility on Mac and when I run First Aid this shows up (Image1).
The harddisk still does not appear on the desktop and I can't get any files.
Here is other information on it (Image2)
Although the 'mount' option is available when I click it nothing happens. The harddisk is apparently now operating on MS-DOS FAT-12 (see Image3) Not sure if that makes sense cause when I googled it this is what is used on Floppy Disks?
When I plug the harddrive into Windows it doesn't appear either but can be seen in Disk Management but I'm unable to do anything with it.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Image2.png
    Image2.png
    111.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Image3.png
    Image3.png
    180.3 KB · Views: 102
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.