Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I got an offer that stands for the next 48 hours: 13" MBA or 13" MBP retina.

When I checked out the reviews, they said the retina MBP stuttered with low FPS when browsing Facebook and similar websites.

1. Would it be possible for me to play AoE or other decade old games on VMware with Win XP
2. Can I play CoD 4 ?

I would really appreciate it if anybody here who could offer some advice.

Additional points: I am a journo, so I also use the Mac to write a lot.

Last edited:

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
The 13" retina has a more powerful CPU, a bit higher clock speed on the integrated graphics, and more RAM in the base configuration.

Playing those older games should be just fine, although you may be better off booting to Windows with Bootcamp rather than playing in a VM.

For more modern games you may have to run at a lower resolution than the display's native 2560x1600, for example 1280x800 or 1440x900. The integrated graphics in either machine won't be great for the latest-and-greatest games on high settings.

Many users here have reported that switching to the latest development version of Webkit (open source version of Safari) helps with the laggy scrolling on websites.

Basically if the price difference isn't a factor then I would go with the 13" Retina MBP.

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
The 13" retina has a more powerful CPU, a bit higher clock speed on the integrated graphics, and more RAM in the base configuration.

For more modern games you may have to run at a lower resolution than the display's native 2560x1600, for example 1280x800 or 1440x900. The integrated graphics in either machine won't be great for the latest-and-greatest games on high settings.

If I change the res to 1280x800, won't the screen become smaller (since it has 2560x1600 pixels of which only half get used).

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
FYI, the lag is software based and has nothing to do with hardware, the GPU can easily drive the display, and as above poster said it seems to be much better in the last 10.8.3 beta, and the 10.8.3 will likely be here sooner than later.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
You should be able to play a decade old game if you use bootcamp to boot into XP. The HD 4000 should be sufficient to drive those games at 1080p if they are a decade old. Heck, you could play COD4(mac app store version) at 1080p with almost all setting on ultra (granted one or two settings may need to lowered but the majority of user can play COD4 at maxed out settings at around 40~60 fps) The HD4000 it is surprisingly capable, it can play Deus Ex/Dishonored at 1080p low~medium settings at around 40~50 fps.

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Thanks to all who helped me with advice.

I've bought the retina, and it handles CoD4 on 2560 x 1600 with absolutely no lag!

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
In researching the same thing, all I find is articles about "burn in" issues with the retina display. Are these not present on the 13"?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
In researching the same thing, all I find is articles about "burn in" issues with the retina display. Are these not present on the 13"?
It is not burn in but image retention. Some screens have it and some do not. If you experience it, Apple will replace your screen almost certainly with a "better" (less problematic) Samsung screen. Do not let this stop you from joining the retina crowd!

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
So, is it a little mini plasma panel or something, lol.

I have a large plasma, so I am familiar with burn in vs. retention difference. Thanks for the clarification. But I've still read about people not getting service from Apple on this issue, being told it's normal, or people even finding issues with the Sammy display http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/20/macbook-pro-with-retina-display-problems-in-every-dimension/

Yeah,that article is WAY over the top. The problems are not as widespread as they claim.My rule for IR is do not o checkerbard test; just use your computer naturally and see if it has.If it does,that means you can easily replicate it for the Geniuses:just be firm in telling them it is not normal. If a checkerboard on my screen for 10 min. is what IR takes,then fine. People should stop trying to find problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.