Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

ATX_wapiti

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2021
Austin, TX
First 748 with pallets/containers of them just arrived in Louisville, KY this AM. The supply chain on these (and most new AAPL stuff) is direct distribution from FOXCONN (or other manufacturer) straight from China (literally, it is boxed and labeled for end consumer right there/then and even pre-sorted as much as reasonable for quick routing once it clears customs in whatever FTZ the carrier is using).

Very few things outside of accessories or older SKUs with much less/more sporadic demand sit in US warehouses...it's just not cost effective with how expensive, even in the middle of nowhere, US warehouse space, staffing, and the like is (not saying that is good or bad, have zero interest in getting into that inevitably political discussion), it's cheaper to use UPS' logistics offerings with offer way more a just in time model than have to bulk import items, then have US labor do the 3PL work state side, because it's not just more expensive, it's double handling something when you don't need to when the end of the production line can quite literally feed the logistics operation.

That is part of the reasoning behind pre-orders, because the first waves don't have to go through double handling.

When you have the demand to be at-or-near production output (or behind it in this case), it would be leaving money on the table to do anything else.

Wave 1 & Wave 2 of pre orders are the only thing in the states now, and they don't even appear to have cleared customs, yet, still sitting in the KSDF FTZ.
We were talking about the base iPhones, not the Pros. It seems like everyone who pre-ordered the base iPhones had not seen any tracking movement, unlike all of the Pro models that we have been tracking closely since Saturday.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
When you put the pedal down and go to 60MPH in 3.2 secs, you forget all about CarPlay
I've only felt the acceleration of M3/M3LR and even those were a bit much so I can only imagine how face meltingly fast the M3P, plaid can be haha.

• Love
Reactions: julit0

julit0

macrumors demi-god
Apr 19, 2010
Torrance, CA
Why not invest in this cable from Anker, if data rates aren't a big issue for you.

View attachment 2269291
100W cable is kind of overkill for ipad, iphone. Unless you are going to use it for a laptop doesn't make sense.
I got this one - not for the power rating but for the USB 3.2 rating to maximize data transfer on the P/PM. Gonna really help on restoring from a backup on Friday I think. I do love Anker stuff, too.

Reactions: rjjacobson

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I had way too much fun watching those float planes take off from Lake Hood.
194355420_10226992875194460_487593039793202311_n.jpg
Same here! I loved watching those float planes take off and land. It was such a great view from the Alaskan Lakefront Hotel while having breakfast.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
We were talking about the base iPhones, not the Pros. It seems like everyone who pre-ordered the base iPhones had not seen any tracking movement, unlike all of the Pro models that we have been tracking closely since Saturday.
It's always possible, but I'd be surprised if they were in the US, even more so on an even lower margin product, unless AAPL (or UPS or FedEx) has an oddly large amounts of previously unknown free/sunk cost 3PL space and labor sitting around. UPS does offer next and second-day-air international direct distribution products, but, who knows, it is odd to not see any movement on those SKUs, but it is only Tuesday, and it's not unheard of to see ship-customs-out for delivery within 48 hours with UPS direct distribution.

But rumor has it they had lines running the the non-Pro models first, so maybe this was the case and there is room in Rialto or their PA facility where the labor is already a sunk cost to make this work!

LasersGoPewPew

macrumors 604
Sep 12, 2014
PDX
Guys, I have a confession to make...

So, yeah, I have a launch day delivery, which means launch day model + first wave model (in terms of manufacturing)... But there's one teeny tiny catch...

I won't get my hands on it until October 6th. So, exactly 2 weeks after it's delivered.

For the record, I knew about this before the event even happened...
How could you do this to us? To me?! I feel so betrayed right now

ATX_wapiti

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2021
Austin, TX
It's always possible, but I'd be surprised if they were in the US, even more so on an even lower margin product, unless AAPL (or UPS or FedEx) has an oddly large amounts of previously unknown free/sunk cost 3PL space and labor sitting around. UPS does offer next and second-day-air international direct distribution products, but, who knows, it is odd to not see any movement on those SKUs, but it is only Tuesday, and it's not unheard of to see ship-customs-out for delivery within 48 hours with UPS direct distribution.

But rumor has it they had lines running the the non-Pro models first, so maybe this was the case and there is room in Rialto or their PA facility where the labor is already a sunk cost to make this work!
My thinking was that this may be one of the first products they trialed with using actual shipping. They said that they are pushing to transition all of their products over to that instead of using air freight, so they have to see how that method works for an actual product launch.

I agree, that there is still time to see what happens, but it seems odd that only the Pro Model SKUs have seen UPS shipping progress while all of the people reporting pre-orders for the non-pro models has seen nothing. I am just speculating here as to what could be happening. I very much understand how Apple's normal launch day shipping process works for iPhones, but appreciate the thorough explainer you provided nonetheless.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
If I had one criticism about the Action Button, I wish they used this as an opportunity to move it somewhere easier to reach, maybe right below the Siri button. The point of it being a shortcut is to make it as easy as possible to do an action. Just because the mute switch used to be there doesn't mean the action button needs to stay there.

rjjacobson

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2014
I got this one - not for the power rating but for the USB 3.2 rating to maximize data transfer on the P/PM. Gonna really help on restoring from a backup on Friday I think. I do love Anker stuff, too.

Thanks @julit0 for your advice. Just ordered one

I was wondering did not want to pay twice that for the apple one for these occasions which are rare (backups, copying files from macbook to iPhone ect). I see that the apple thunderbolt 4 cable is double that in price no thanks for the occasional use I would have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.