Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Usage Experiences? Reliability? Run iTunes with Media & Backup folders on external drive (save SSD)?

There are tons of articles for Windows (I use) and Mac about moving some of this heavy space eating stuff off my C drive / SSD.

2 key methods I see are (I'll post some links for them) :
https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-7392
(Let me know if there's any other ways iTunes or its Folders/ Files have been moved that you're aware of)

- Moving the Media folder to external drive and then SHIFT/ ALT + iTunes > Point it to different Path for Media Library (iTunes is aware of where things moved)

- Moving the Mobile Sync / Backup folder to external drive and connect it via Symbolic Link/ Junctions (iTunes does not know and operates as if things are in original place with the mapping handled by OS/ File System redirection)

Technically its simple and easily done, but..
- Experientially how has it worked for people using it for long?
- Any issues through iTunes updates?
- Issues on iTunes with USB connections?

- Works fine over USB2 - Not so?
- Better over USB3?
- Etc?
- What about when syncing/ using a FILLED UP iPhone 64/ 128? (Time/ performance)

Is this a Reliable way to go? Since this manages my Phone (key), need it to be so.

I just want to hear from
- people who have done it,
- been doing it / using it for long time and
- mostly recent usage is also fine?..
Happy with it? Any Tips/ Advise?

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I carry my mobile iTunes library for over a year and don't see any visible problems other than needing to change symbolic link to let backup working at windows/Mac. Sync, library maintenance, install updates. All works fine without problem.
And of course, the faster USB speed you have the better performance you will receive, even though iPhone only supports USB 2.0 right now.
I am pretty happy with it, and it is fairly reliable. However, I format my drive to HFS+ for better compatibility with Mac OS X and I install HFS for windows driver to use the disk under windows. If you use FAT32 or exFat then you should regularly backup your library for data safety purpose.
Oh, the only reason I use it is because I need my library to be accessible at anywhere.

Reactions: crashnburn

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
I carry my mobile iTunes library for over a year and don't see any visible problems other than needing to change symbolic link to let backup working at windows/Mac. Sync, library maintenance, install updates. All works fine without problem.
And of course, the faster USB speed you have the better performance you will receive, even though iPhone only supports USB 2.0 right now.
I am pretty happy with it, and it is fairly reliable. However, I format my drive to HFS+ for better compatibility with Mac OS X and I install HFS for windows driver to use the disk under windows. If you use FAT32 or exFat then you should regularly backup your library for data safety purpose.
Oh, the only reason I use it is because I need my library to be accessible at anywhere.

Thanks. So, from what you said, you've done both:
- Moved the iTunes Media Folder (with iTunes aware of it)
- Symbolic linked the MobileSync\ Backup - folder (iTunes not aware, OS + FileSystem aware of redirection)

Right? And has worked well for you.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thanks. So, from what you said, you've done both:
- Moved the iTunes Media Folder (with iTunes aware of it)
- Symbolic linked the MobileSync\ Backup - folder (iTunes not aware, OS + FileSystem aware of redirection)

Right? And has worked well for you.
Yes. You are right.
And I use this for over a year, without major issue.

Reactions: crashnburn

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Yes. You are right.
And I use this for over a year, without major issue.
I ran my iTunes Media library off an external 128GB SD card for two years, with no issues whatsoever. Win 8.1 and Win 10.

Thanks. That helps - And I wonder why someone moved this to Mac Basics, when I actually use Windows and posted 2 links to how to do this on Windows + iOS 9 - It has nothing to do with Mac Basics.

PS:
This has nothing to do with WINDOWs on a MAC. Im using a PC.

This has to do with iTunes Syncing on Windows. Do you have an iTunes Sync issues forum?

Then the closest associated thing is iOS9, because sync issues occur & change with every iOS + iTunes revisions.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thanks. That helps - And I wonder why someone moved this to Mac Basics, when I actually use Windows and posted 2 links to how to do this on Windows + iOS 9 - It has nothing to do with Mac Basics.

PS:
This has nothing to do with WINDOWs on a MAC. Im using a PC.

This has to do with iTunes Syncing on Windows. Do you have an iTunes Sync issues forum?

Then the closest associated thing is iOS9, because sync issues occur & change with every iOS + iTunes revisions.
If you only use PC then just format the disk as NTFS and you will be fine.
And, as long as iOS version matches iTunes version, syncing should not be an issue. In current case, there should be an iOS 9+iTunes 12.4 pair to work properly under windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.