Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Should I be checking bootability on currently available USB 3 cards for Classic Mac Pros or should they all pretty much be bootable? If it is not safe to assume they will be bootable in latest OS, what's the reason (other than they weren't made that way :p)?

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Should I be checking bootability on currently available USB 3 cards for Classic Mac Pros or should they all pretty much be bootable? If it is not safe to assume they will be bootable in latest OS, what's the reason (other than they weren't made that way :p)?

No USB 3 PCIe card is bootable in a Mac Pro 1,1-5,1 as there is no driver support until an operating system loads drivers. USB 3 is not in EFI.

Reactions: crjackson2134

erer

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2018
Yes, it’s definitely possible.

And I did able to activate the KT4004 via Clover few months ago when I was trying to activate the GPU via Clover.
as we know now mac pro 4,1 5,1 boot rom can be modıfıed as NVME boot maybe same way we can modıfy bootrom to have usb 3.0 boot. not ın clover..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.