Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mauriziodececco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2013
Hallo,

i am experiencing some problems with USB audio on Mojave since i update from 10.14.3 on my Mac Pro, details follows. I know the problem can come from a wide variety of issues, and i am searching around, including asking for help to the audio interface support; i am posting here to know if anybody have similar problems, to try to understand if it can be an OS problem or not; i am wondering because i know 10.4.4 bring solutions to USB audio problems on T2 machines, so they touched the code around USB audio.

The problem is; i have clicks/pops that make audio output unusable; with Youtube on Safari, for example, the audio is just unusable; with Cubase i can reduce the problem by raising the latency to more than 1000 samples; the problem is always there, but less intense (less clicks).

Configuration:
USB Interface: PreSonus AR8; the interface is class compliant, no drivers, an officially supported on Mojave. OR, IK Multimedia Duo, class compliant, no drivers, officially supported.

Mac Hardware: Mac Pro 2009 4.1 with 5.1 firmware, nvme ssd boot disk, 8 core 2.26 Ghz, rx580 GPU.

The same problem happens if i use the native USB2, or the USB 3 PCI card, with different cable, with or without an hub.
And if a boot from a secondary High Sierra disk, without any hardware change, everything just works.

The internal audio works fine.
Logs include audio overload errors.

Any suggestion ?

Maurizio

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

sahyun

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017
This may be a different issue since you are using USB audio, but I was having problems with the audio out. You might need to change the processor to something like x5650 or better. There are upgrade kits on eBay. I have a 2009 that was having audio out issues (iTunes was the most obvious, with stuttering but it would show up in other programs as well) but changing the processor seems to have fixed it, perhaps the USB audio also has problems due to how the processors deal with the audio streams?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.