Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ourcore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Hey, guys,

I'm gonna be getting the new 15" MBP along with an LG 27UD88 monitor and a Rain Design stand. Basically, I'm looking for advice on the setup, specifically, with regards to a USB hub solution.

I'm planning on connecting the monitor via USB-C, which will also charge the MacBook, and my webcam and keyboard/mouse USB receiver into the back of the monitor (via USB-A ports). I'll also connect my external HDD directly via USB-C, leaving one USB-C port free.

Originally, I thought of getting either a compact USB hub, such as Satechi's, or a wired option, like HooToo's, but the fact that the MacBook would be on a stand makes it a little more complicated. Then, as I was writing this, I realised that I could just use the MacBook's built-in camera and connect a USB hub into the back of the monitor, instead of the external webcam, but I'm not sure how reliable that would be in terms of performance.

I guess I have two options: a USB hub directly into the MacBook or via the monitor. The MacBook will remain docked 90% of the time. I could also do with some hub recommendations since I've since various that don't appear to match in throughput speeds.

Any other recommendations are welcome too!

Thanks!

ultraman982

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2007
I have this exact setup actually, the 27UD88-W and MBP.

On the back of the monitor I mounted (with mounting tape) this PNY SSD (https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-480GB-Portable-Solid/dp/B01GQPXB3U) and this USB Hub (https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ultra-Slim-4-Port-Data/dp/B00XMD7KPU) ... I have my KB and Mouse connected to the hub and use it for flash drives as well.

This works pretty excellent, though the one thing that gets annoying is if the computer sleeps--the Drive is Ejected improperly. Dunno a way around that though.

Overall it's a good setup and is pretty futuristic getting all that IO off a single cable.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
doesn't the speed get knocked down to USB 2 speed?
I too have this monitor and how was wondering how's you're charging going? Does your's charge the MBP when you turn the monitor off?

croco_dile

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2016
I have the same setup.

I also had the Rain Designed stand for a couple of weeks, but returned it as if I put it right next to the monitor, it blocks line-of-sight for my external speaker.

I also used the monitor has a USB hub and connect some of my USB-A drives, but suffered the same problem as Ultraman described above with the 'disk ejected improperly error' whenever the monitor turns off. There has got to be a solution to this, as I think this would happen on the LG Ultrafine monitors too.

I also discovered another problem, where if I connect the MBP to the external display in clamshell mode, then by repeated unplug / replug the USB C cable between the various USB C ports on the MBP, I could get the graphics to go berserk (both on the external display and the MBP display). This symptom is reproducible after about half a dozen attempts, and it happens to both of my MBPs. Have you guys seen this?

ourcore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012

On the back of the monitor I mounted (with mounting tape) this PNY SSD (https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-480GB-Portable-Solid/dp/B01GQPXB3U) and this USB Hub (https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ultra-Slim-4-Port-Data/dp/B00XMD7KPU) ... I have my KB and Mouse connected to the hub and use it for flash drives as well.

This works pretty excellent, though the one thing that gets annoying is if the computer sleeps--the Drive is Ejected improperly. Dunno a way around that though.

Overall it's a good setup and is pretty futuristic getting all that IO off a single cable.
That SSD looks like a good size for that, kinda like the T3 in this video. I'd just be concerned about performance. Does it really go down to USB 2?

I have the same setup.

I also had the Rain Designed stand for a couple of weeks, but returned it as if I put it right next to the monitor, it blocks line-of-sight for my external speaker.

I also used the monitor has a USB hub and connect some of my USB-A drives, but suffered the same problem as Ultraman described above with the 'disk ejected improperly error' whenever the monitor turns off. There has got to be a solution to this, as I think this would happen on the LG Ultrafine monitors too.

I also discovered another problem, where if I connect the MBP to the external display in clamshell mode, then by repeated unplug / replug the USB C cable between the various USB C ports on the MBP, I could get the graphics to go berserk (both on the external display and the MBP display). This symptom is reproducible after about half a dozen attempts, and it happens to both of my MBPs. Have you guys seen this?

Did you use a USB hub while you had the stand?

I already have a Satechi clamp hub, so I could also use this. Could someone please tell me how thick the monitor is at the bottom?

artlee

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2017
Anacortes, Wash.

I'm wondering: Did you ever fix this? I have a late 2016 MBP and recently got an LG 27UD88 and I get Disk Not Ejected Properly with my Time Machine connected Samsung T3 SSD.

I cannot fix it at all. Whether I connect the T3 to the 27UD88 hub, which is slow, or directly to my MBP, I get the error on reboot or startup. It seems to be connected with how my MBP connects to the external display. Kinda hiccups on startup, causing the T3 to turn on, then off, then on. Or so it appears.

I have been using Jettison, but I think the hiccups don't allow Jettison to work right.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I have this same "Disk Not Ejected Properly" with my external HD drive on my '17 15" Macbook Pro.

I have the external directly plugged into one of the computer's USB-C ports and when I boot the MBP after I plug in power, I see this not ejected properly notification.

Are there other fixes besides Jettison? It does not seem to be in the US App store and I want to find more info before spending ~$5 on their website.

Furthermore, this issue should not happen. I will contact apple via chat and see what they have to say.

artlee

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2017
Anacortes, Wash.
I have this same "Disk Not Ejected Properly" with my external HD drive on my '17 15" Macbook Pro.

I have the external directly plugged into one of the computer's USB-C ports and when I boot the MBP after I plug in power, I see this not ejected properly notification.

Are there other fixes besides Jettison? It does not seem to be in the US App store and I want to find more info before spending ~$5 on their website.

Furthermore, this issue should not happen. I will contact apple via chat and see what they have to say.

Jettison works for me only when the external drive is plugged into my MBP, not when I plug it into one of the usb ports on the back of the monitor. But I've never had a problem when the drive is plugged into the MBP's usb-c ports.

JOEJOETHEJOEY

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2004
I've recently just bought this monitor too together with an Aukey 6 port USB 3.0 hub with lan port. However, whenever I plug it into the USB 3.0 port in the monitor, it won't detect the LAN connection. It works fine via a USB-A to USB-C converter, but doesn't detect the connection once it comes through the monitor. Is this a limitation with the monitor? I've also had the same issue with an Orico USB 3.0 SATA drive enclosure. it doesn't show up at all via the monitor.

Anyone have any advice or solutions?

Thanks!

Reactions: bartvk

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
Anyone have any advice or solutions?
Have you tried other ports on the hub? Sometimes, these 6 port hubs are actually implemented using two chips. Maybe macOS recognizes the first one, but not the second one.

As an aside, since High Sierra I found hubs-connected-to-hubs unreliable. I've got a similar setup like you, and I regularly have to reconnect my (Apple) Ethernet dongle and Time Machine drive to get recognized.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
Jettison works for me only when the external drive is plugged into my MBP, not when I plug it into one of the usb ports on the back of the monitor. But I've never had a problem when the drive is plugged into the MBP's usb-c ports.
Thanks. I will try Jettison. Apple suggested that I should try a different cable for my external drive and it did not change anything. Time Machine is not a big deal but I play music from the external until the battery dies.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
The Jettison demo has some issues...

I deactivated notifications because I was getting too many notifications from the app but disabling notifications did nothing, I still get 100+ notifications in a few hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.