Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DD88

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
I’ve recently noticed my usb-c cable which charges my ipad pro has started yellowing at the end.
I’ve looked on Reddit and there are mixed opinions on this, 50% say it’s an electrical issue and to replace it immediately as it’s yellowing due to overheating, the other 50% say it’s yellowing because of natural oils on my hand turning the cable yellow and to just ignore it.

I was advised to email Apple regarding this but to also say it’s a danger to health and electrically ruining my iPad Pro ( even though my pro is working okay) and that I would be well within my rights to request a new usb c cable for free and to push for a free new iPad Pro M2 when they are released this year as compensation.

What do you think?
EEBA8EF0-F331-41A1-B4D4-71AEFD38CBF2.jpeg

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
A new iPad due to issues with a cable as it's a health concern? That's a stretch. The reason these cables disconnect from the adapter and the device is so they can be replaced easily. If you don't like the yellow, replace it.

DD88

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
A new iPad due to issues with a cable as it's a health concern? That's a stretch. The reason these cables disconnect from the adapter and the device is so they can be replaced easily. If you don't like the yellow, replace it.
I was told that it’s yellow because of electrical failure and a surge could cause a fire and the iPad Pro to explode, therefore needing a replacement, as the new M2 Pro is out this year, that’s the one to go for

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I was told that it’s yellow because of electrical failure and a surge could cause a fire and the iPad Pro to explode, therefore needing a replacement, as the new M2 Pro is out this year, that’s the one to go for
If you believe it's electrical failure, and it could be if the cable feels hot when in use, then replace the cable. As for the device exploding, I don't see that happening, but anything is possible.

Frankly, if I felt there was a true fire or explosion risk, I wouldn't keep using the cable.

DD88

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
If you believe it's electrical failure, and it could be if the cable feels hot when in use, then replace the cable. As for the device exploding, I don't see that happening, but anything is possible.

Frankly, if I felt there was a true fire or explosion risk, I wouldn't keep using the cable.
It doesn’t feel hot at all and works fine every time I use it, maybe a bit of a delay when I first plug it in but then it’s fine. I wouldn’t leave it charging something if I left the house though

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Yellowing like that can happen if the cable's end near the plug gets warm to the touch. If the cable gets warm at that location, it should also turn more flexible (soft, really). If it doesn't get hot, there should not be a problem with it, and the discoloration should normal. Any risk of explosion is from the battery, not the cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.