Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
I just ordered a 2018 MBP and while I wait for delivery, I’m trying to find a decent hub/dock (so I can actually use the devices I own!) with when it arrives.

Has anyone had really good experience with any particular hubs? I’ve just dropped a lot of cash on this Mac so my wallet is hurting but I also don’t want to go too cheap and get something useless.

I don’t really *need* TB3 quite yet but with Intel’s change in licensing the controllers, prices of TB3 devices may come down and they may quickly become more common so could be worth it. Not 100% sure what to do here so looking for advice/opinions.

Thanks!

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I don't have a dock but I have a few USB-C to lightening cables, an Apple USB-C to USB-A/HDMI/USBC Dongle.
When I travel I use my MBP like a charging station for my iPad, iPhone, apple watch. At home, it is not the case. IMG_1308.jpg

Reactions: twistedpixel8

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
What are you needing in a dock?

I am using an Anker hub as it wasn't very expensive and has all the ports I need access to. So far, it has worked very well. I also like that it has a flexible cord so you don't lose access to any of your other three ports.

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/5-in-1-premium-usb-c-data-hub/A83310A1

Ah, this one was on my shortlist, it just seemed a little expensive for just 4 USBA + Ethernet and reviews seemed to say the Ethernet was very slow. Did you experience that?

Ideally I wanted Ethernet, 2 or more USBA, maybe an SD reader and (just a bonus) a single USBC passthrough.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Ah, this one was on my shortlist, it just seemed a little expensive for just 4 USBA + Ethernet and reviews seemed to say the Ethernet was very slow. Did you experience that?

Ideally I wanted Ethernet, 2 or more USBA, maybe an SD reader and (just a bonus) a single USBC passthrough.

I haven't experienced it performing slow. I ran a speed test with it on my FiOS gigabit connection and it ran well. I only use it for larger file transfers and it does that job well.

I haven't stress tested it though where I'm pulling max via Ethernet while outputting on HDMI and copying from USB to see how well it handles those loads as that's not a typical use case for me.

I previously had tried a similar product from Satechi which also worked well and included MicroSD which was also on my list. But I didn't like the loss of two USB C ports or the "fixed" nature of it. I also wasn't happy spending $100 on a dongle...

https://satechi.net/collections/usb-type-c/products/aluminum-type-c-pro-hub-adapter-with-ethernet

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
Beginning to think that there isn’t really anything perfect for my needs without making the jump to a proper TB3 hub. Think I’m just expecting too much from standard USBC.

Just a shame the TB3 hubs are so expensive. I do like the look of the OWC 12 port one but even on offer at £270 it’s a little eye-watering after £3,000 for the Mac. Bloody Apple!!

danb1979

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I'm using this one and it ticks every box for me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Alu...d=1539882184&sr=1-5&keywords=Lenovo+USB-C+Hub

I wanted ethernet as I work from home and wanted my MBP to be on the best connection possible; plus I've x2 external USB 3 HDDs (one for my TimeMachine and the other my iTunes library); plus you connect the power through this too

It's working perfectly and because of the lead it uses to attach to the MBP; I've been able to hide it away behind my MBP as it's sat on space grey Bestand Macbook stand; again, off Amazon

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
I'm using this one and it ticks every box for me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Alu...d=1539882184&sr=1-5&keywords=Lenovo+USB-C+Hub

I wanted ethernet as I work from home and wanted my MBP to be on the best connection possible; plus I've x2 external USB 3 HDDs (one for my TimeMachine and the other my iTunes library); plus you connect the power through this too

It's working perfectly and because of the lead it uses to attach to the MBP; I've been able to hide it away behind my MBP as it's sat on space grey Bestand Macbook stand; again, off Amazon

Yep, found that one earlier today and bookmarked it. Glad you’ve given me the thumbs up with it!

It’s a little pricy at £50 but it does seem to be one of the most complete hubs available right now.

Hopefully some more eGPU enclosures will come out with decent additional ports for reasonable prices (was looking at Razer’s V2 but just can’t afford that right now).

Reactions: danb1979

danb1979

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Yeah; this new MBP, to me, has cost me a fortune so far; Trackpad 2 in Space grey was £90, full numeric keyboard was £140, hub £50, stand £34 etc... Knew Apple would bankrupt me one day haha :D

Reactions: twistedpixel8
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.