Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cudo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
In my head.
Hi, is is possible to connect USB C ethernet adapter to external monitor and than connect it to my MBP M1 pro so that it feeds internet and power with one usb C cable? Hope it is not too confusing. See pic attached. Thanks!

Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 08.32.07.png
net

dmdewey

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2015
Norman, OK
This looks like a use-case for a Satechi Aluminum Multi-Port Adapter V2 - 4K HDMI (60Hz), Gigabit Ethernet, USB-C Charging, SD/Micro Card Readers, USB 3.0 - Compatible with 2020 MacBook Pro/ Air M1 hub. They're expensive ($80) but well worth it. Another alternative would be the HyperDrive Power USB-C hub ($99). I have one of both and they get the job done.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Yes, monitors have this kind of functionality. The Dell U2722DE even has a built-in RJ-45 ethernet port that's transferred over the USB-C input from the computer. You get power, DisplayPort and Ethernet functionality by plugging in one cable. I'd look at monitors with USB-C plugs to computers and they can probably do what you want

QuietOC

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2022
Hi, is is possible to connect USB C ethernet adapter to external monitor and than connect it to my MBP M1 pro so that it feeds internet and power with one usb C cable? Hope it is not too confusing. See pic attached. Thanks!

I have a monitor with Thunderbolt in and out ports. I've used a USB Ethernet adapter in the Thunderbolt out port, though I could also plug into one of the USB-A ports. I also keep a USB keyboard, mouse, and webcam plugged into the monitor. Some monitors have a webcam and/or ethernet integrated into them.

Gigabit Ethernet only requires one fifth the bandwidth of USB 3 Gen 1. It doesn't require a Type C port.

Last edited:

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Yes it's easy to do, but your diagram is wrong. The MacBook plugs into the monitor, not into the adaptor. All you need is a monitor with a USB hub, doesn't matter if it's normal USB or USB-C.

I have a 2015 Dell 27" monitor with 5 USB sockets on it. I have plugged into it: a webcam, an external HDD, a USB ethernet adaptor, and other bits and pieces.

From my (2015) MacBook to the monitor, I have the monitor cable, and a separate USB cable. That gives me access to everything plugged into the monitor, including the Ethernet adaptor. I also have a separate power lead for the MacBook.

The advantage of USBC is that it can carry USB & picture & power all in one, so with the right monitor the MacBook only needs a single cable connected to get power & picture & USB. Not all monitors can do this though, and it tends to be expensive, especially monitors that can deliver enough power through USBC to charge the MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.