Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Hi Guys :)

I have a big problem ... I have a USB 3.1 extern hd, that I keep allot of data on.

However when I plug it in after some time my iMac (2013 27") crashes.

It happens every time.

I first thought it might be due to the partion, so i had much trouble downsizing the efat and creating an APFS partiotion and move all the data to it (there where some corrupt data ... and not everything is moved yet, så it could be the problem).

However, I eventually figured out (from other experiencing the same) - that it's a power problem.
That the iMacs usb port probably don't give the drive enough power?

Whats the best way to solve this?

I was thinking of buying a powered usb hub, and a cable with two power connectors.
(the hd used the weird Y shaped plug).

Any other suggestions?

Is there any other USB drives that won't give me the same problem.

I only think I have one thunderbolt port (not entirely sure) and I use that for my boot drive (works great).

Thnx.
PS: The same thing happens on my Macbook Pro 2014

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would not use APFS for an external drive that is intended for data storage only.

If it was to be a bootable backup, that's a different story.

But for general storage, I would format the ENTIRE drive to HFS+ (Mac OS extended with journaling enabled).

If it's a bus-powered drive, and you also use ANOTHER bus-powered drive as your boot drive, plugging it in MIGHT "overload" the power-delivering-abilities of the Mac, and cause a crash.
My thinking is that the Mac might "shut off bus power" in response to the overload, and in doing so, it would cut off communication with the boot drive, and thus... the crash.

In that case, get either a powered hub for the drive, or it if has a power input port, get a suitable power block and use that to supply power.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Ahh crap. :)

1. Why not APFS? I have been really pleased with that on my boot drive.

2. Can I convert APFS to HFS+ so I don't lose all my data?

3. Its a cheap Intenso Memory Case Harddisk 1.75 TB.
Not sure if it's bus powered ?

I only have that drive connected to usb, but I boot from a thunderbolt drive.
Then again it does the same on my macbook pro 2014 and there is no drives connected here besides the internal SSD.

a) So the powered hub idea could work?

b) Can you elaborate a bit more on the "suitable power block" ... don't I risk frying the usb ports that way ? if the power runs back? ... or what is a suitable power block

5. What should I look for with my next usb drive to not risk the same problem with that drive?

PS: It never crashes right when I plug it in but always do so when it's been running for some time (not that longs though, not hours)... and eventually when I set it to trasfer big amount of data from one folder to another.

Thnx mate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.