Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiff101

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
I have a 2019 MacBook Pro (2 Thunderbolt 3 ports) and recently bought a Samsung T7 external SSD. The T7 doesn't mount or even appear in Disk Utility when connected to my Anker USB Hub (eg at Amazon). The light on the T7 comes on, but the Mac doesn't see it. An older external HD (not SSD) does work when plugged into the Anker hub, and the T7 works when plugged directly into the macbook's ports. A previous thread here suggests that the hub might not be supplying enough power. The Samsung manual doesn't list any power requirements at all. My question is, if set out to buy another hub, how do I tell which ones would enable me to use the T7? I don't know how much power is required, and it seems hard to find out how much power is supplied to the ports of any hubs on offer.

Thanks for any help.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
You are referring to trying to use the T7 via a/the hub when running from battery? Which version of macOS?

I use this Uni as well as this Targus without problems with e.g. T5s or T7s while powering everything incl. Macbook or iPP through it, as well as without the external power source. In the later scenario I usually connect just the SSD, no HDMI or other devices connected (but I have used them to copy between SSDs, USB-A/C sticks and HDs without problem).
I am surprised that the T7 doesn’t mount via your ANKER - do you use the cables which came with the T7 (USB-C-2-C and/or USB-A-2-C and power everything through the Macbook power supply)?

EDIT: what file system do you use on the T7? If it is NTFS and there is lots of files on it, it might take quite a while till it will be mounted/accessible.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The Anker hub looks like it doesn't have its own power supply.
However, it does look like it can take power from the "PD" input (so you would need a small power block that delivers "PD out" power.

I'm thinking that if you added that, it -might- then have enough power to get the t7 going when used "through the hub". Then again, no promises that it would work.

What do you use the t7 for?
Backup?
Occasional data access?
Something else?
Is it necessary to have it plugged in all the time?
If not, why not just attach it directly to the MBP?

spiff101

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
You are referring to trying to use the T7 via a/the hub when running from battery? Which version of macOS?

I use this Uni as well as this Targus without problems with e.g. T5s or T7s while powering everything incl. Macbook or iPP through it, as well as without the external power source. In the later scenario I usually connect just the SSD, no HDMI or other devices connected (but I have used them to copy between SSDs, USB-A/C sticks and HDs without problem).
I am surprised that the T7 doesn’t mount via your ANKER - do you use the cables which came with the T7 (USB-C-2-C and/or USB-A-2-C and power everything through the Macbook power supply)?

EDIT: what file system do you use on the T7? If it is NTFS and there is lots of files on it, it might take quite a while till it will be mounted/accessible.
Either from battery or when using the power adapter. The OS is Ventura.
Right, the hubs you link seem pretty equivalent to my Anker. I'd just assumed it would work.
Yes, I'm using the USB-C to USB-C cable that came with the T7.
I reformatted the T7 to APFS when I got it.

The Anker hub looks like it doesn't have its own power supply.
However, it does look like it can take power from the "PD" input (so you would need a small power block that delivers "PD out" power.

I'm thinking that if you added that, it -might- then have enough power to get the t7 going when used "through the hub". Then again, no promises that it would work.

What do you use the t7 for?
Backup?
Occasional data access?
Something else?
Is it necessary to have it plugged in all the time?
If not, why not just attach it directly to the MBP?
No it doesn't have its own supply - does an external SSD always need one? The poster above indicates that he can run his T7 without one (if I'm understanding them correctly).
The Anker can pass power through the PD input to my MacBook, but plugging the power adapter into the PD input makes no difference: the T7 is still not detected by my MacBook.
I use the T7 pretty much constantly for access to photos, databases etc because the MacBook has very limited storage.
I can attach it directly to the MacBook but, what with only having a grand total of 2 ports on the damn thing, I'd hoped to be able to plug it into the hub.

Thanks for the replies, both. Maybe I should just order another hub to try and send it back if it similarly doesn't work with the T7. Just hope there's nothing wrong with the drive.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
Did you use the hub in pre-Ventura times with your Macbook? If not, please try: while the hub is connected, go to System Settings > Security and Privacy > Security. The initial configuration there is Ask for new accessories. Configure an accessibility Switch Control and set the policy to always allow accessory use.

This shouldn’t be something to do on your Macbook model, but to be sure… 🤓

spiff101

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Did you use the hub in pre-Ventura times with your Macbook? If not, please try: while the hub is connected, go to System Settings > Security and Privacy > Security. The initial configuration there is Ask for new accessories. Configure an accessibility Switch Control and set the policy to always allow accessory use.

This shouldn’t be something to do on your Macbook model, but to be sure… 🤓
Thanks for the suggestion. I think this option is only available on silicon Macs though, and mine is an intel. I don't see that option in my Settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.