Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I am running 10.11.5 on a CMP 5,1 and my usb mouse cursor keeps freezing. If I disconnect the mouse from USB port and reconnect, the cursor is unfrozen. Everything else works normally, including Apple trackpad. What appears to be happening is that the Mac somehow loses track of the USB mouse. The same thing happens with both of two old, generic usb mice which I have tried. Neither mouse was failing, AFAIK. This also happens whether or not the mouse is connected to any of the native usb 2 ports or a usb 3 port on PCIe card. Sometimes it happens on boot up. My OS is a new OS upgrade. It also happens on clean installation of Mt. Lion on an external disk. Any ideas on how to pinpoint cause or fix? Anyone know of diagnostic tool that might shed light?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
You've tried nearly all the obvious and eliminated software as the issue. There is the standard troubleshooting step of "remove all unnecessary hardware"...if you haven't tried that, I'd do so just to eliminate the possibility that something else is the actual problem even though the symptom is the mouse.

Are the two mice the exact same model? If so, I'd try a different mouse, especially a different brand if possible.

If you still have problems after that point, I can only suspect internal hardware such as memory gone bad. You might try MemTest86 from a boot disk (not from within OS X).

Reactions: macmesser

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
You've tried nearly all the obvious and eliminated software as the issue. There is the standard troubleshooting step of "remove all unnecessary hardware"...if you haven't tried that, I'd do so just to eliminate the possibility that something else is the actual problem even though the symptom is the mouse.

Are the two mice the exact same model? If so, I'd try a different mouse, especially a different brand if possible.

If you still have problems after that point, I can only suspect internal hardware such as memory gone bad. You might try MemTest86 from a boot disk (not from within OS X).

Thanks for reply. I had assumed the mice were not the same brand, but they coincidentally are (albeit different models which might differ only cosmetically) so I'll try another mouse. I have an Apple wired mouse floating around somewhere. Since I have only two cards to pull I'll remove them if necessary. I have tested memory with TTP 8 and no problems found but that was from an OSX boot disk, so I will try MemTest86. If memory is eliminated would you conclude that board is damaged?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
If the problem still exists once you're down to the bare metal and a fresh install of an OS, I figure it has to be something that is left, barring some sort of weird external interference.

So what's left right now? Memory can go bad and do any manner of strange things. I've also seen a few complaints about people upgrading video cards and having negative affect on the mouse. That sounds weird, but I've seen it many times, so those two items seem to be interrelated somehow and therefore it might be your video card.

If you are able to eliminate mouse brand/model, memory, and video card as the problem then at that point I would figure it's probably the logic board.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Thanks for reply. Well, you just added another card to my list as I recently did upgrade the video card to a 4K capable one. That is, unless my Apple wired mouse works after MemTest86 finishes its run.

UPDATE: MemTest86 found no problems. Swapping out the two mice I was using for a different brand seems to have stopped the problem. Will continue to monitor.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Swapping out the two mice I was using for a different brand seems to have stopped the problem. Will continue to monitor.

Did your "persistent enumeration failures" error message go away (booting in verbose mode)?

I found a post elsewhere where someone determined that "persistent enumeration failures" in relation to USB was due to a bad USB keyboard/mouse.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fakesmc-is-not-getting-injected.190072/

Yes, it's a hackintosh, but I don't think that matters in this case.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Did your "persistent enumeration failures" error message go away (booting in verbose mode)?

I found a post elsewhere where someone determined that "persistent enumeration failures" in relation to USB was due to a bad USB keyboard/mouse.

http://www. .com/threads/fakesmc-is-not-getting-injected.190072/

Yes, it's a hackintosh, but I don't think that matters in this case.

Thanks for reply and yes, the failure message is gone with a Microsoft wired mouse. I just read the linked post. Wow! Takeaway for me is that there is no such thing as a trivial component so to avoid debugging nightmares (and save lots of time) use the tried and true. This especially the case if the components in question are trivially priced, i.e. low enough in cost so that the entire price range is well within budget. Thanks for the detective work in finding the hackentosh post. Outstanding!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.