Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gonbizarro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
Hello! I need help from the collective intelligence and experience of this group: The native USB ports on my Mac Pro 3.1 are blocked, so I can't connect the keyboard or mouse to it, so I can't select for example from What disk to boot. Bluetooth also stopped working when connected internally via USB. The ports have voltage and the system (Catalina DOSDUDE Patch) recognizes them, but I am not authorized to use them with peripherals.
I appreciate any help. Regards

Last edited:

Gonbizarro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
Can you expand more on the "I am not authorized to use them"... is this an error or system dialog message you see? Also, what version of Mac OS are you running?
Thanks for answering, what happens is that when you connect a peripheral, they do not respond at all, neither keyboard nor mouse, and in the case of a pendrive with an LED light, the light turns on but the system does not recognize it either. If I go to "system information", the ports are in the list, but they do not report that anything is connected.
I am using Catalina 15.10.7 Dosdude patch, starting from an nvme disk, applying all Dosdude instructions regarding Boot modifications, including the modification for Ntfs disks, and the Nvme one.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Does that include all USB ports, including the front USB ports?
What cards, if any, do you have installed on the PCIe slots, in addition to your graphics card?

When did you first notice that your USB ports seem to stop working?

This would be that time you would try booting to a Firewire external drive, with a native boot system (Leopard to El Capitan) to give you the best chance to boot to "something"
If you can't choose that external boot from the Option key on a USB wired keyboard, or when selecting with a USB mouse, then I suggest that you have a failure on the logic board. (selecting the boot drive on that Option-boot picker screen is provided through firmware, and is not software-dependent

Reactions: Gonbizarro

Gonbizarro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
Does that include all USB ports, including the front USB ports?
What cards, if any, do you have installed on the PCIe slots, in addition to your graphics card?

When did you first notice that your USB ports seem to stop working?

This would be that time you would try booting to a Firewire external drive, with a native boot system (Leopard to El Capitan) to give you the best chance to boot to "something"
If you can't choose that external boot from the Option key on a USB wired keyboard, or when selecting with a USB mouse, then I suggest that you have a failure on the logic board. (selecting the boot drive on that Option-boot picker screen is provided through firmware, and is not software-dependent
Hello! thanks for answering. Yes, it includes the front ports.
In the PCI ports, in addition to the Gtx 680 card in No. 1, I have the Samsung 970Plus Nvme disk through an Oc Accelsior 1M2 card in PCI No. 2, and on the other PCI, No. 4, I have an Inateck KT card 4004 with 4 USB 3 ports.
The first time I noticed the ports stopped working was one night when I was working, and suddenly my mouse and keyboard stopped responding. I restarted the machine thinking that would solve the problem, but then I never had access to the native USB ports on the Mac.
I estimate that it is probably a firmware problem, because the logic board seems to work correctly and with great performance.
Do you know how to restore the Firmware???

From already thank you for your time. Greetings

Gonbizarro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
Thank you very much for your reply. I'll try! I will keep you informed as soon as possible.

Gonbizarro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
hmmm... Is there any change to the native USB ports, if you remove the Inateck card, just as a test?
Hello! I have tried removing the Inateck board and connecting the keyboard and mouse directly to the Mac's native USBs and they do not respond at all.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. All kinds of ideas are accepted to try to solve this problem. Greetings

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
When was the last time you replaced the battery? That's the CR2032 near the card slots...
Unplug power cord, remove the battery.
Press and hold power button for about 10 seconds.
Wait 30 seconds before inserting new battery. Plug in the power cord.
Power on, then press and release the SYS_RST button, in the top right corner of the logic board.
Use a spudger to press that button (or some other long, non-metal tool).
And... try to boot, then test the USB ports.

Reactions: Gonbizarro

Gonbizarro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
Hello! I have tried the latter, I have changed the battery and followed the strict order of what was suggested, and I did not get results with the USBs...they are still not responding.
When you pressed the SYS_RST button, the startup sound was heard twice. The machine seems to be more fluid now. But still unable to boot.
Any other suggestions will be welcome. Thank you so much!

Gonbizarro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
When was the last time you replaced the battery? That's the CR2032 near the card slots...
Unplug power cord, remove the battery.
Press and hold power button for about 10 seconds.
Wait 30 seconds before inserting new battery. Plug in the power cord.
Power on, then press and release the SYS_RST button, in the top right corner of the logic board.
Use a spudger to press that button (or some other long, non-metal tool).
And... try to boot, then test the USB ports.
Hello! I have tried the latter, I have changed the battery and followed the strict order of what was suggested, and I did not get results with the USBs...they are still not responding.
When you pressed the SYS_RST button, the startup sound was heard twice. The machine seems to be more fluid now. But still unable to boot.
Any other suggestions will be welcome. Thank you so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.