Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minimiggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
It seams that Apple is no longer supporting the Apple USB SuperDrive (Model - A1379) with specific drivers for Apple Silicon Macs.
Below is the same drive plugged into 2 different Intel Macs, and 1 Apple Silicon Mac.

Looking at System information on my 2018 intel MacBook Pro & 2018 intel MacMini, both running macOS Monterey 12.3. Both display the same info.

The USB Superdrive is recognised as an Apple Shipping Drive. Displays exact manufacturer and model.

f17ed476-748e-47d2-9b0f-6d92a4e088d5

On my 2020 MacBook Air M1, running the same macOS Monterey 12.3.

The drive is recognised as a generic drive. No longer shows exact manufacturer and model.

0258304f-d6bc-4497-8031-4ee37c154309

Music ripping programs, such as dBpoweramp & X Lossless Decoder(XLD), no longer can see the exact make and model.

What is the difference between 'Apple Shipping Drive' and 'Generic Drive Support'?

Is there a way to work out what has changed? Is it better or worse in the way the drive works?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
How the drive "reports itself"... means nothing.

What DOES mean something is... does the drive still work?
Does it play media?
Does it burn media?
THOSE are the relevant questions.

Reactions: dizmonk

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
guess the question remains... does the Superdrive work via a usbA-C adapter/dongle (for M1 Macs with NO USB-A ports?)

moreover, will it work via a hub?

natallica

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
guess the question remains... does the Superdrive work via a usbA-C adapter/dongle (for M1 Macs with NO USB-A ports?)

moreover, will it work via a hub?
It doesn’t work via a powered hub I tried. It does work directly hooked up to a USB-A port on the Studio. I’ll try a dongle and report back.

Reactions: kkclstuff

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
thanks so much for the info. the 'no powered hub' is a drag!

It'll be sad for me if I can't use a Superdrive with a new M1. I can't imagine it 'not' working with a  usbC-A adapter dongle. - but I won't put it pass  to "quietly squash" superdrive accessibility.

minimiggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
How the drive "reports itself"... means nothing.

What DOES mean something is... does the drive still work?
Does it play media?
Does it burn media?
THOSE are the relevant questions.
Yes it plays media. Yes it burns media.
But...
Now the drive is read as a "generic" Apple SuperDrive, instead of the drives exact model and manufacturer. Media ripping programs such as dBpoweramp & X Lossless Decoder(XLD) are unable to automatically determine C2 error correction, drive offset, & CDTEXT UPC ISRC read status.

Intel Macs & Windows via Bootcamp still both display full model and manufacturer. Apple Silicon Macs no longer.
Over the years I have had a few Apple USB Superdrives. Externaly they look identical. Internaly the drive manufacturer is different. I have had 2 Pioneer drives, and currently an LG.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
thanks so much for the info. the 'no powered hub' is a drag!

It'll be sad for me if I can't use a Superdrive with a new M1. I can't imagine it 'not' working with a  usbC-A adapter dongle. - but I won't put it pass  to "quietly squash" superdrive accessibility.
The SuperDrive can work with a powered hub, but it seems it does so only with very few. I don't know the exact cause, but the rumors I've read lean toward a power issue. I have one connected through the hub built into my Cinema Display that is connected as a second monitor on my 27" mid-2015 iMac running Big Sur at work and it works fine.

Reactions: kkclstuff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.