Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skoobey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
Hello Everyone,

I really did search far and wide, but I don't see anyone having the same issue as me. So, here it is.

Situation
:
I have a router/modem at the home office with a couple of iMacs hooked up to it wirelessly, and also a Mac Pro that doesn't have a wireless module that I want to join the network as well(sounds easy but the computers are actually pretty far away from each other,and modem is the router-2in1, so I can't just plug in the Express at the modem end, and router at the mac pro end).

Question:
I want to connect Airport Express with a Mac Pro over the LAN cable, so that the Mac Pro joins the network? Is that possible? I don't mind if the Airport also becomes a repeater, or if it creates a wireless point of it's own as long as it shares it's access to the existing wifi with the Mac Pro via LAN. I fiddled with the settings, but nothing seems to be working.

P.S. I have an older version of Airport utility software, and the Express sets up perfectly for the printer, airplay, and as a router, but that's not what I need it to do. I need it to join the existing network.

Thank you for your time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.