Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carbocation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2021
I have an iPhone 11 with a screen whose pixels are becoming discolored in the top right corner. Let's say I want to trade this phone in for an iPhone 13 when it comes out. Will the AppleCare 'trigger' during trade-in and allow me to get near-full value for this phone? Or do I need to use AppleCare first to get the phone fixed, and then trade in the phone after that?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In my opinion, it is not a good idea to put more money into a phone you are going to immediately trade-in. You are already losing money doing the trade-in on a used device. No need to make it worse by spending more money.

carbocation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2021
Thanks, your point is well taken. I supposed I could ask what the trade-in value of the phone would be before getting it fixed and just do the math at that time to make the decision.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Personally I think you’d get full value offered. As long as the phone is not physically damaged. But that’s a guess on my part.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Just for reference, here are the Apple iPhone trade-in questions:

1. Who made it?
2. Which model do you have?
3. Is the iPhone in good condition?

Answer yes if all of the following apply:
- It turns on and functions normally
- All the buttons work
- The cameras work
- The body is free of dents and scratches
- The touchscreen and back glass are undamaged

So there's nothing asked whether there are any display issues. That said, I strongly recommend doing an in-store trade-in versus the mail-in method.

Reactions: Glideslope

carbocation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2021
Just for reference, here are the Apple iPhone trade-in questions:

1. Who made it?
2. Which model do you have?
3. Is the iPhone in good condition?

Answer yes if all of the following apply:
- It turns on and functions normally
- All the buttons work
- The cameras work
- The body is free of dents and scratches
- The touchscreen and back glass are undamaged

So there's nothing asked whether there are any display issues. That said, I strongly recommend doing an in-store trade-in versus the mail-in method.
Thanks, that's helpful. Yes I'll need to do this in-person to sort out if they are trying to deduct for damages before I make my decision re: using AppleCare first. Thanks!

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Thanks, that's helpful. Yes I'll need to do this in-person to sort out if they are trying to deduct for damages before I make my decision re: using AppleCare first. Thanks!
You'll probably be fine. Don't volunteer to them about the pixelation. If they feel it's necessary to turn on the phone, maybe they'll see it, maybe they won't.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Do exactly as Wildsky suggested. You can answer yes to all the questions if what is asked work. DO NOT mail it in. Only trade in at an Apple Store.

The trade in will go fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.