Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heimdallr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2017
Since getting the latest MBP, I have stopped using my iPad Air. Does anyone use the two in conjunction, or can think of situations where the two could be used together in a workstation?

Thanks.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
My MacBook Pro right now is pretty much only used for school, which I absolutely need at this point. The rest of my use is done on my iPads, iPhone, and Android phones.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
Unless you read a lot of ebooks or pdfs, I don't see many use cases where you would need to use an iPad in conjunction with a MBP unless you're using it as a secondary display (the Duet app is great for this).

Seed101

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
Drawing with pen then sending to iMac/MBP
Viewing tutorials whilst completing tutorial on iMac/MBP

Guess those are my two primary use cases.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I have the previous latest MacBook Pro, but since I've got my iPad Pro 12.9 and 9.7 I hardly use it anymore. What do you need it for?
I use my iPad Pro for reading lots of law text books, annotating pdf's, hand-writing notes during college, watch shows/television on it, have the small one with me at every moment without much weight/volume but with a pencil and a wired keyboard.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
Since getting the latest MBP, I have stopped using my iPad Air. Does anyone use the two in conjunction, or can think of situations where the two could be used together in a workstation?

Thanks.

Are use the app duet it's my mid 2015 MacBook Pro to my iPad Pro 12.9 which really nice For only the two times I've used it just to try it out otherwise they use my 12.9 iPad Pro for everything

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I got rid of my 12.9 in favor of a MBP. For me the MBP accomplishes so much more in a device roughly the same size as the 12.9 except heavier of course. I will probably end up picking up a 9.7 to use as a digital notebook, e textbook reader, and entertainment device. But I can get along just fine without an iPad too so it'd be a want and not need purchase.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Would love to convert to the 12.9 solely but I am a commissioner of a league that has been running for like 10 years in OOTP and my MBP has become an OOTP machine.

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012
I have an iPad and a MacBook (not pro). I use the iPad as a second screen with the MacBook when I need more real estate, using air display. I also use the iPad as a second screen sometimes by opening mail on the iPad and using my Mac for everything else.

heimdallr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2017
Some good suggestions. Never heard of Duet app, but I purchased it and seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Cheers!

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I just picked up a mini 4 and use it exclusively as a book reader and media viewer. Like the higher contrast over Kindles and now that there's Night Shift, reading at night is much more comfortable.

Both of these use cases couldn't be replicated easily or comfortably with my MBP

Reactions: alecgold

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
When I had iPad Air 2 and rMBP with me all the time for the stuff but now I have 12.9 iPad Pro I stopped taking rMBP with me my back feels little lighter with backpack :)

Reactions: Cnasty

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Yeah, Duet is nice. If you run Alfred, it can be similar to having the TouchBar because you can customize tasks and just hit a button on the iPad.

I like to use mine with SimpleControl Remote to control music, what is playing on my mounted TV, etc. If you have the iPad Pro, Astropad lets you edit Photoshop photos with the Pencil. I also like to have open my security camera app on the iPad while I am at the computer. Anyway, those are the first to pop into my head.

The main reason I use my iPad more than my MBP or iMac at home is simply the form factor.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Why the new MBP specifically?

I have a 2012 15" rMBP and a 12.9" iPP. The MBP is used exclusively for my heavy work applications. The iPP is used on the go for drawing, light work, and as a second monitor for my MBP using Duet Display. I used it for pencil input for my MBP using Astropad but now I'm trying out Duet Pro since it offers an extended display. I used to use my iPP for casual (not at a desk/table) consumption but found it too large to use comfortably so I got an iPad mini for that.
I'm very happy with this set up for now. Each device has an important role and does it very well.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
rMBP for OOTP only

New set to arrive 9.7ipad pro will be used for everything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.