Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaqomatic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2019
Hi all,

I'm a complete novice at anything regarding computer hardware, but I was trying to run do some video editing on Premeire Pro and my computer just wasn't able to handle any templates. After much Googling, it appears that the simplest solution (short of buying a $2,500 laptop), is to run your Startup Disk on an External SSD. I've watched some videos, and from what I can gather, I'm supposed to 1. Format my External SSD to the Mojave OS 2. Delete the Startup Disk from my Harddrive 3. Always keep the External SSD connected and run my OS off of the External? Are these the right steps using this guide
? I'm just afraid to delete the Startup Disk from my harddrive or mess something up.

I am planning to purchase this as my external SSD https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SWJ3CF/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Lastly, if there are any other upgrade options without spending a fortune, please let me know.

Thanks!

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Give it a try with USB3, it will probably be fine. You do not have to erase your current internal drive. Just leave it as-is incase the external drive doesn't work out, or if you want to boot up without the external drive attached.

I have used external boot drives off of USB, FireWire, and Thunderbolt, and they were all fine.

I have a few external drives with a bunch of cloned bootable MacOS partitions, and they all work well.

I have even used iPods are MacOS boot drives.
[doublepost=1566999442][/doublepost]I just thought of something, I recall trying to boot with an external SATA SSD over USB, and it took longer to boot. Once booted it was fine, but if I had to restart, booting could take a few minutes. With using the same SSD over thunderbolt, there was no delay.

I looked it up, and it seemed like other people had a similar experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.