Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ambrosia7177

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
Hi. Am ready to make some Apple purchases, and want to make sure that my desired use-case will work...

I am interviewing people, and want to mount a new iPad onto my tripod facing the interviewee.

While I am recording the interviewee with a new iPhone 14 Pro Max - which is also on my tripod - I want to be able to take videos stored on my iPhone 11 Pro Max - which I will be holding - and play the videos on my new iPad so the interviewee can watch the video.

So, streaming videos on an iPhone 11 Pro Max (or really any modern iPhone) to a new iPad.

I was told by someone in an Apple store that this can be done.

Is this correct?

If so, how would I do this?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Offhand not sure how you'd accomplish that exact scenario.

Here's an alternative option though - put the videos on the iPad, in a Keynote presentation. Then use the iPhone to control that.

Ambrosia7177

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
Let me back up and describe the end result that I want.

- I need to play videos on an iPad so an interviewee can watch the video.

- I want to be able to cue up the video - from a library of videos - that the interviewee will be watching.

- I want to be able to do the "cueing up" from my iPhone. (Like my iPhone is a TV remote control, and the iPad is the TV.)

- I guess it doesn't matter if the video, and library of videos, is on the iPad versus the iPhone. (Although I'd prefer the videos are on my iPhone for ease of managing the list.)

In passing, someone at an Apple store made it sound like I could take videos from my iPhone and magically AirDrop them or something so they pay on an iPad.

But here are some key considerations...

1.) Again, I need to be able to control the videos from my iPhone (e.g. finding a given video in my video library, starting, stoping, pausing, replaying, etc)

2.) I am NOT playing on paying for cellular service on the iPad- it's just a monitor to me.

3.) I'm not entirely sure this new iPhone will have cellular service on it.

4.) Because I am doing this out in the field, ASSUME that I have no Wi-Fi service. (And as stated above in #2 and #3, maybe I won't have cellular service either.)

I thought you could make two Apple device talk to one another if they are right next to each other, WITHOUT Wi-Fi or Cellular service - isn't that what Bluetooth does?

Hope that helps bette explain my project needs.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I thought you could make two Apple device talk to one another if they are right next to each other, WITHOUT Wi-Fi or Cellular service - isn't that what Bluetooth does?
Not… exactly. There might be options along those lines that I’m not familiar with, though they’d certainly have little to do with Bluetooth since that’s not fast enough to stream video.

What it sound like you’d want, is AirPlay. But you can’t AirPlay to an iPad - just Apple TV, smart TV, or Mac.

Ambrosia7177

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
@FreakinEurekan

Not… exactly. There might be options along those lines that I’m not familiar with, though they’d certainly have little to do with Bluetooth since that’s not fast enough to stream video.

What it sound like you’d want, is AirPlay. But you can’t AirPlay to an iPad - just Apple TV, smart TV, or Mac.

Forget that I said "stream".

Please focus on what I said in post #3 above, because that more accurately represents what I want to do. (Sorry for a misleading thread title!)

Ambrosia7177

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
I just updated the thread title.

Hopefully that more accurately describes what I want to do?

Ambrosia7177

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
@FreakinEurekan,

Maybe the main point is getting lost here...

I want to control the videos on the iPad, because the interviewee is being recorded and I don't want to have to step in frame, turn on the video on the iPad, step out of frame and continue.

I want to be mid-interview and say, "Now I'm going to play you a video, and I would like your thoughts," then tap on my iPhone, the desired video starts playing on the iPad, the interviewee comments, and then I can stop the video later on and all of this doesnt screw up the video.

How can I do that?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
@FreakinEurekan,

Maybe the main point is getting lost here...

I want to control the videos on the iPad, because the interviewee is being recorded and I don't want to have to step in frame, turn on the video on the iPad, step out of frame and continue.

I want to be mid-interview and say, "Now I'm going to play you a video, and I would like your thoughts," then tap on my iPhone, the desired video starts playing on the iPad, the interviewee comments, and then I can stop the video later on and all of this doesnt screw up the video.

How can I do that?
The best way I can imagine is what I said - put the videos in keynote and use the Keynote remote app.

I’m sure there are other ways, but that’s my recommendation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.